Opinion on Collecting older notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by EatYourWheatPennies, Mar 20, 2018.

1. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

I was wondering what your thoughts were about collecting any notes trhough the 60s-90s.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If it's fun, go for it.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Fairly common for those years but collect what you like.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Find a specialty and go with it :)

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with the above comments, and will add, many members here started out and became interested the very same way.

7. EatYourWheatPennies

8. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I miss the "older-style" notes. Only the dollar and $2 notes have survived. I started collecting $2 notes a while back, but it wasn't until about a year ago that I began collecting PMG 65 certified 1976 $2 notes. I am almost done with that series. I have been going through eBay, but the prices are incredibly inflated.

I am having a hard time finding an online price guide - even on PMG's and PCGS's websites. Does anyone know of an online price guide for FRNs?

9. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

I don't know an online one, but the standard guide (35th edition) was released last year -- https://www.shopnumismaster.com/standard-catalog-of-united-states-paper-money-35th-edition

E Pluribus Unum likes this.
  10. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Unless you plan to buy all of your notes for a premium you will be forced the collect one dollar bills. You can start by plucking one nice note from each series. Once you have those you can start collecting plate numbers and special types. All can be found in circulation but some are extremely difficult to find.

11. E Pluribus Unum

Clay, Thanks for the link. Before I read your recommendation, I downloaded the Kindle version of The Guide Book to United States Paper Money (The Official Red Book). This book has plenty of excellent illustrations, but I wouldn't use it as a price guide. It only gives prices for F-12 and Unc-63. I will checkout the book you recommended. From my experience with coins, books aren't a good source for prices as these values fluctuate. If there are no online sources, I can get the Green Sheet.

Sorry, I didn't intend on hijacking this thread.

12. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

I found this also, but I have no idea whether it's useful or not -- paper money isn't my area. As a matter of fact, I have some paper money tossed in a drawer around here somewhere - just some old red seal $5 and a few silver certificates I think.

http://papermoneyguide.com/us_currency_price_guide.php

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You gotta save those. All your peers will be digging your collection

EatYourWheatPennies likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

15. E Pluribus Unum

Thanks for the links. I was interested in a more detailed price guide. The price guide for star notes can vary quite a bit in a series. For the $2 1976 series, The Guide Book to United States Paper Money (The Official Red Book) has the Boston star note valued at $20, whereas, the Minneapolis star note is listed at $250 (both at Unc-63).
    I just bought the Green Sheet, but it does not list anything past 1953. I have not seen a PCGS or PMG online price guide. Anyway, I think this is off topic. After doing a little more searching, I will start with a new thread.

16. Collecting Nut

Notes of all denominations have survived but larger face notes are more costly. Add in signatures, condition, etc. and watch it reach unaffordable.

17. E Pluribus Unum

I guess I should clarify that. I meant that the style/design used in the current production of the $1 and $2 bills has not changed. As you know, higher denominations have changed quite a bit with the enlarged portraits of the presidents, added colors and security features. The $1 bill has not changed much since 1963.

18. Collecting Nut

Gotcha and in the next few years it's changing again.

19. EatYourWheatPennies

I really like the 5 dollar bills they look cool. I think all of these notes are getting harder to find, at least I don't find any at all.

20. E Pluribus Unum

They have to keep changing. Just as a side note, I was at the Post Office not too long ago and posted to the wall was a flyer from the FBI. It said someone has been bleaching $5 bills and printing over them. From what I understand, the new $100 bills are going to change drastically with new security features.

21. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Well, if you are going to collect small size notes may I recommend a visit to the First City Currency website. And buy the book -- it's great !!
    http://www.fstctycurr.com/

Full disclosure notice: Bob Azpiazu is a long-time, trusted friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted