Featured Opinion/Editorial - United States Coinage Needs Overhaul Now!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikenoodle, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Good thread

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

There are a couple problems with the "averaging out" concept here. I admit it looks great on paper, but you have to realize that the purchase quantities are not random; they are driven by the type of goods and the business. Businesses know how many items the majority of customers purchase in a typical transaction and can set the prices to take advantage of rounding.

With prices that end in .99, rounding will create a repeating pattern of 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.04, -0.05, -0.04, -0.03, -0.02, -0.01, 0. In other words, the business makes money on quantities of 1-4, loses money on quantities of 5-9, and breaks even on a quantity of 10. This pattern then repeats for quantities 11-20. While the sum of this pattern is -0.05 (a loss for the business) this is only if the quantities purchased are random. They are not, however, random.

For example, when you go to lunch to get a sandwich, how many sandwiches do you purchase?

If a business prices a sandwich at x.99 (including tax) and you purchase:
    1. One sandwich; the total will end in .99 and it will round up. The business makes 0.01.
    2. Two sandwiches; the total will end in .98 and it will round up. The business makes 0.02.
    3. Three sandwiches; the total will end in .97 and it will round up. The business makes 0.03.
    4. Four sandwiches; the total will end in .96 and it will round up. The business makes 0.04.
    Now the rounding will cause the business to lose money on sandwich 5 through 9, and break even on sandwich 10, but what percentage of customers do you think are ordering more than 4 sandwiches in one transaction? I'm going to bet that it's extraordinarily low, and as a result, this business will make money off of rounding.

These patterns look different depending on the trailing digit in the prices, so a business that typically sells quantities of 6-9 per transaction will have prices that end in x.x1 to take advantage of rounding, etc.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  5. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Business will make money in the rounding up But the consumer pays more if there is no 1-5c coins
    I don't think this is good for any one if we lose the 1-5 coins and I don't see it happening

6. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Business will make money in the rounding up But the consumer pays more if there is no 1-5c coins
    I don't think this is good for any one if we lose the 1-5 coins and I don't see it happening

7. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.