Opinion and grade 8R

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Derick, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Hi, what would you grade this 8 reales, and other opinions please.

Thank you

1822 rev.jpg 1822 obv.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I grade it AEA - Abundant Eye Appeal.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

frosty

5. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Somewhere from AU58 to MS62. Anything more exact than that is really hard to tell from pictures. I don't see any obvious rub, so I'd probably throw out an MS61/62 guess on it.

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I don't see any wear or hairlines in the photos so my SWAG is MS64. It looks really sweet.

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

That is great thank you, bought.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes I agree pertty strike and great eye appeal I say it would grade upwards MS-63+ and would love to have it in my collection.:thumb:

9. brg5658

So, do tell, is it slabbed/certified? I'm always leery of purchasing 8R raw from pictures. They are heavily counterfeited.

10. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

Looks UNC from the images. If no breaks in lustre I can see NGC giving it a 63-64. PCGS is a bit more unpredictable. Nice find. I would recommend getting it graded.

11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

AU 55, nice coin.

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I was kind-of assuming that it was slabbed & genuine but your post is spot-on!

Derick- Is it slabbed or from a truly reputable source?

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Looks kike it might be an NGC slab. As for grade, I'd say 55. That's what they assigned this one I used to own.

1822 8 reale obv.jpg

1822 8 reale rev.jpg

1822 8 reale slab obv.jpg

14. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I normally do not look if a "cheaper" coin is slabbed or not. It is for sale for 325 US. To be truly honest, I went through the pictures and prices on the sellers site and did not see the note that said it is actually NGC AU 55. It looked nice and price was good. Because I burned my fingers so many times with these, I guess I would post it first not knowing it was slabbed already.

My aplogies.

15. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I feel stupid now :eek:

16. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

Why? That's not the same coin. What am I missing? For 325 it's a good deal especially if the seller has return policies.

17. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

The coin I posted (sellers pictures) is graded NGC AU55, I did not see the note on the sellers page.

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful 8 reales , I've been looking for one that nice for awhile . I'd say AU-58 and the tpgs may even go low 60's . IMO

19. brg5658

The coin you posted in an NGC AU55 holder is still a nice deal at $325 in my opinion. It's a very attractive problem-free piece.

20. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

brg, I agree. A good buy indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted