OPA ration tokens

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Craigescape, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Craigescape

Craigescape Member

I have a bunch of OPA ration tokens, 3 YC, 3 XC and one MM. I cant seem to find a price guid for them. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There is not a priceguide, to my knowledge, but I found a little information here.

Google around a bit and you might find more.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

If the thread wasn't so old, I'd suggest contacting someone "over there, over there".

My first thought on those were they're not very rare or valuable, but who knows? It just depends on the individual collector.

It seems some are rare and with rarity comes value....most of the time.

Good link, LM.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

This is the best info I have on these. Value wise, however, requires someone who specifically collects them. I have a handful, but was gifted them from my grandfather in law who actually used them. No rarities though.

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There were a bunch of these in a wonderful exonumia bulk bag I bought a few years ago.

[​IMG]

Along with a lot of Depression-era state tax tokens and such.

[​IMG]

These were the more mundane items in that lot, some pieces from which I still have yet to disperse.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Got any from Nevada? I’m curious what they look like.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice but common.

9. Hookman

I checked out your bulk bag link. A lot of cool stuff there.

10. Seattlite86

Are you sure? Everything I’ve read say they’re the rarest of the red tokens...

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I should have clarified, to me they are common.

Hookman likes this.
  12. Hookman

Hi, maybe I can clarify a few terms.

Rare and Common are terms that are relative to the discussion they are a part of, and relative to the item under discussion.
    The dictionary meaning of these two terms won't change, however, the connotative meaning (the meaning in relation to the item under discussion) can change.

Something can be rare in relation to a small group that it's a part of, but still be common in relation to a much larger group that it is also a part of.

and vice versa.

Rare and Common are also relative to the number of people/collectors looking for an item.

If someone is looking for something, and they can't find it, then it could be said that item is "rare" . However, if no one is looking for an item, then, no matter how few there are, it may be considered very common.

Remember, "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" , which in this case means : Value is determined by the person wanting to buy.

I hope that helps.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Hookman

Here's a Coin Talk link from 2017 about these very tokens. It's an interesting read.
    is-a-opa-coin-worth-anything.299917

Also google the words " tokens price guide"

A rather large list of reference books comes up. Study the titles and take your pick.

I suggest "The Official Red Book : Guide Book of United States Tokens and Medals" ; and/or "Merchant Tokens of Hard Rubber and Similar Composition"

I think that the second book might be best because those OPAs are "merchant tokens" and they are of "similar composition".

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. Seattlite86

Hi there and thanks, but you’ve got the wrong definition and are using terms incorrectly, as is @Collecting Nut . Numismasts have always defined rarity based solely on the number of surviving examples. There’s even a scale for it. http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Features.aspx?page=7a

It is imposrtant tp know that just because something is rare, does not make it valuable. Just because something is common, does not make it valueless. That’s based on supply and demand.

15. Hookman

If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what I said, but in different terms.

Please understand, I am not a numismatist (isn't this the correct spelling of numismatist?) and I have never claimed to be one. I'm just an average guy who collects coins and learns things as he goes and tries to help others who may be confused over an issue of terminology. My explanation of rare and common is NOT a numismatic one, it is the "ol' homeboy from Texas" explanation.
    I even refer to a dictionary meaning and a connotative meaning, but never a numismatic meaning.

But Thanks for correcting me.

16. Hookman

So what do you think about the book " Merchant Tokens of Hard Rubber and Similar Composition " as a reference source, S86?

Those tokens were used by merchants and, though they're not hard rubber, they're not metal either. I would consider " Similar Composition " to cover the material they're made of. I would think that term would cover most any material except metal.

17. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

So... I've got a lot of OPA tokens sitting around, but never really sold any. I always use EBay as a guide to value on collectibles such as Tokens or Medals. Searching SOLD items (NOT ones for Sale... have to use their real value paid for them) I found a few interesting ones.

Lots sell for maybe $0.25 to $1.00 for each token, depending on Auction.

VALUABLE ONES are OPA "MV" Red Tokens. Selling for $142-$171 dollars each, as those are considered Rare. (Would be NICE to have!)

Error OPA tokens can be worth a premium.

"MM" Tokens seem to go around $5. "XC" and "YC" Tokens are a bit less than that, but still a premium.

Essentially... they are all "Worth What Someone Will Pay for Them!"

Hookman likes this.
  18. Seattlite86

Apologies to @Craigescape for the attempted siderail. The fact is your items are rare compared to the rest of the tokens, but you need to find someone who specifically collects them to get any premium for them.

Hookman likes this.
  19. Seattlite86

I think it would be great if everyone bothered to learn numismatic terms before trying to comment or correct people on what terms mean in a numismatic forum. Glad you caught those typos, apparently I was in a rush when I typed that. Without you, no one would know how to spell numismatist. Thanks for consulting the old dictionary on that one. ;)

Hookman likes this.
  20. Hookman

No prob, S86, Happy to help.
    Auto correct is a great thing unless it works too fast or we don't pay attention to what it does for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted