Oops. Forgot I was soaking a KHD

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SlipperySocks, Dec 15, 2018.

1. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

In olive oil. A year ago. Apparently got shuffled into the garage where I found it on the floor but still wet in the container. It was so dirty I could barely make out the obverse wording when I first put it in. I wanted to get a better look at the blister on it and had read olive oil was safe. I'd recommend keeping it under about six months when soaking......now for some acetone.... 20181215_161411-1.jpg 20181215_161306.jpg 20181215_161551-1.jpg 20181215_161606-1.jpg In Olive oil. Don't worry it was in bad shape already

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Olive oil can contain acidic components. Exposed to air, it turns more acid over time. It's fine for ancients that have already spent centuries in the ground, but it's never going to improve a modern coin, and may well damage it further.

Having said that, if the coin's already trashed (as this one apparently was), have at it. :)

NSP likes this.
  4. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

You should have used organic extra virgin!

Hoky77 and SlipperySocks like this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I had to read your post to see what KHD meant :wideyed:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Kruddy half dollar??

SlipperySocks likes this.
  7. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

It's a CoinTalkronym!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

There are just too many. Some I know well, some I can guess and some I have to track down. LMC (Lincoln Memorial Cent) was a new one to me a few weeks ago.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am the same way. My son will text me and I have to call him to decipher it for me. I am so not meant for the 21st century....... But, my purpose was to let you know in the frequently asked questions section, there is a very helpful thread about the acronyms we see here. I frequently refer to it.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

KFC, but don't go there........

Draft saved Draft deleted