Ooin World article:San Francisco mint to make 2012 ATB's intended for circulation!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by zekeguzz, May 26, 2012.

1. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

NIFC= Not Intended For Circulation. IFC= Intended For Circulation.

I just received my June issue of CW(coin world). For me a little knowledge is dangerous. In CW an article headline reads: San Francisco Mint
    strikes circulation-quality quarters. Namely ATB's, America the beautiful. To me this article doesn't give enough information and IMHO is ambiguous and misleading and confusing:

1. P&D mints will also strike 2012 ATB's but with presses set for 700-750/min., more than once if needed.
    2. S mint ATB's will be struck at 70 coins/min., ONLY ONCE.
    3. Still P, D, & S mints will be primarily IFC's.
    4. IMHO S mint ATB's should be of higher grade(ms65-msproof) and much more noticeable to the collector. Still they're classed as IFC coins.
    5. Oh yes, some P&D mint ATB's will be sold as " collector products". HUH?? IMHO this means higher value numistmatically speaking, YES, NO??
    How many P & D mints?
    6. What about the S mint ATB's? I only assume that some will be selected for " collector products".
    7. 1.7 million 2012 ATB's of each park will be struck. I hope all mints strike the same amount. No further specific figures are given.

S mint ATB's will still be primarily IFC coins, I hope, I hope. This means our banks will get them and sell them at Face Value. Yes, No??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Coin World article: San Francisco mint to strike 2012 ATB's Intended For Circulation.

NIFC= Not Intended For Circulation. IFC= Intended For Circulation.

I just received my June issue of CW(coin world). For me a little knowledge is dangerous. In CW an article headline reads: San Francisco Mint
    strikes circulation-quality quarters. Namely ATB's, America the beautiful. To me this article doesn't give enough information and IMHO is ambiguous and misleading and confusing:

1. P&D mints will also strike 2012 ATB's but with presses set for 700-750/min., more than once if needed.
    2. S mint ATB's will be struck at 70 coins/min., ONLY ONCE.
    3. Still P, D, & S mints will be primarily IFC's.
    4. IMHO S mint ATB's should be of higher grade(ms65-msproof) and much more noticeable to the collector. Still they're classed as IFC coins.
    5. Oh yes, some P&D mint ATB's will be sold as " collector products". HUH?? IMHO this means higher value numistmatically speaking, YES, NO??
    How many P & D mints?
    6. What about the S mint ATB's? I only assume that some will be selected for " collector products".
    7. 1.7 million 2012 ATB's of each park will be struck. I hope all mints strike the same amount. No further specific figures are given.

S mint ATB's will still be primarily IFC coins, I hope, I hope. This means our banks will get them and sell them at Face Value. Yes, No??

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=206980#ixzz1vzLr0NQ9

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

5. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Thanks Geenie but that really stinks on ice. It also makes Coin World Magazine look even more inconsistent and misleading.

I was led to believe through this article that this would allow the public to buy these IFC ATB's at face value. What a joke!
    I'm very disappointed. Now who wants to pay the extra premiums? I can only assume that someday S mint IFC's will be available.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I hear ya Zeke. It's just another way for the Mint to cash in on collector mania. The very thing they said they were trying to do a few years ago (limit product offerings) they've just gone back on. Next thing (ya know) it'll be colorized San Fran coins......:) I mean, for cryin' out loud, at least legitimize the offering by issuing some for circulation. This things as useless as teats on a bull........

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Well said Greenie. Usually I'm very outspoken to the point of earning a ' Profile infraction. So I'll cease this thread right now!
    Thanks for your posts and comments.
    zeke

Draft saved Draft deleted