Online program to view coins in more detail???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HardTruths, May 26, 2016.

1. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

Does anyone know of, or recommend a free download that will enable me to blow up pic's of a coin (ex: grainy and dim ebay pics, etc..) so I can see details better? I have looked but could not find anything specific for collectors. So here I am, with hat in hand asking you good people for a recommendation. Also, to my fellow collectors I say Happy Hunting, and may your Holy Grail coin be on it's journey to your front door.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't think such a thing exists. Bad photos would still be bad even if they were enlarged. Your best bet is to contact the seller and see if they can provide better images.

nearfall likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Picasa can sometimes help with pictures that are poor quality in terms of contrast or underexposure, by using the enhance feature on a downloaded copy of the sale picture.

Nothing effective can be done about out of focus pictures Or low resolution images, blowing them up will just show larger pixels rather than more detail.

HardTruths likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I can help with that .
    http://photoscape-free.com/?utm_sou..._term=photoscape&utm_content=PhotoScape-Exact

HardTruths and Alegandron like this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Hold down the control key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

cntl-0 returns to normal.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The "Enhance" button only exists in television crime shows. Garbage images will always be garbage images; if the pixel-level data isn't there you can't add it. Advanced skills in software postprocessing will sometimes help, but even then you're employing imagination as much as anything else.

Jaelus, Insider and BadThad like this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yup. If the data isn't there, it won't ever be.

The programs each have a limited sharpness function. And they do improve the image, but only by small amounts.

You can also "improve" the image by only displaying as many pixels as you have screen space, typically 1920x1080. Your digital camera may be 5000+ x 3000+ and so to display the 'entire' image means that basically each three cells (pixels) have to be displayed in one screen pixel.

HardTruths likes this.
  9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Save the images and use windows Photo Viewer....but, like others have said, it will mostly result in pixelation.

HardTruths likes this.
  10. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

Hey, neato.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If your mouse doesn't have doesn't have a scroll wheel try ctrl-+ This works in Chrome or Internet Explorer browsers. To return to normal size, in Chrome there will be a magnifying glass at the right side of the address bar. Click it and select default. In Internet Explorer you have to click View at the top of the screen then Zoom and select 100%. (ctrl-0 might work as well, haven't tried that. Works in Chrome.)

HardTruths likes this.
  12. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

Thank You for the link!!! It works very well and I appreciate it. I am kind of hesitant buying coins (slabbed or raw) online and really like to take a close look before deciding. This program enables me to do just that with bad pic's (unfocused, grainy, suspect lighting, glare, etc). Is it just me or do other feel like some sellers post horrible pic's just to mislead a buyer?? I've noticed that several times when I asked for additional pictures of a coin. Anyways, Happy Hunting and Thank You!!

Draft saved Draft deleted