Online Pricing - How to Determine Age of Info?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, May 23, 2017.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I seem to recall a long while ago (DOS era?) that if you called up a website (or anything) there was a date attached.
    That way you would know how old the info was.

Can the date that an item is posted/edited be determined these days?
    Is there a way to query the link?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GaryLomax

GaryLomax I collect, therefore I am

No, there is not.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What is it you're really trying to figure out kanga ? Your title says you want to figure out the age of online pricing. OK, but whose ? I'm asking because if you tell us that there may be a way to do so.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Actually, anyone.
    But not so much the common ones like Numismedia or Heritage.
    More like this:
    http://papermoneyguide.com/us_currency_price_guide.php
    I'd like to know how old the data is.

Or someone's personal listing of a variety that the regular catalog sites don't have listed.

If I'm going to bid on/buy something it would be nice to know a reasonably current ballpark value.

6. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Kanga, if you are a ANA member, they have a new Collector's Price guide that debuted this month...and I'm guessing it will be updated.

New this month is the “Collector’s Price Guide,” a retail pricing tool for collectable U.S. and Early American coinage supplied by the publishers of The Coin Dealer Newsletter. The 8-page supplement offers up-to-date values for a variety of U.S. coin types and denominations on a regular rotation. The June 2017 issue provides information about half cents, cents, 2 cents, 3 cents, nickels and colonials.

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

That's certainly going to be of help.
    But some of the tougher info to get is for such items as:
    -- Capped Bust Quarters by Browning Number
    -- Braided Hair Large Cents by Newcomb Number
    Things like that.

Sometimes I have to get the values piecemeal by visiting a lot of different sites.
    I'd like to know how old a dealer's prices are before I use the info as a guide.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

9. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

So you are looking for a time stamp for when a web site has been modified?

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Sounds correct.
    If a site lists a price I'd like to know it's as of 2016, not 2006.
    That sort of thing.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's what I needed to know. The only way to get that, for free, is to look at realized auction prices. And there's no easy way to do that, meaning from just one resource. You will probably have to check several places, depending of course on the specific coin you'd like info about.

Now if you're willing to spend money you can get direct access to the electronic dealer networks. And those will give you current, in real time, bid and ask prices for just about any coin.

It's been a long time since I did that but it used to cost me about $300/yr just for access to 1 network. Prices have no doubt increased since then. But it was worth every penny, and then some ! Even if you only buy 3 or 4 coins a year, you can save several times that amount. And yes, you can buy the coins direct from the dealers at wholesale.

12. Kanga: Check out the link below. It will give you a lot of detail on the activity of any website. It will not give you exact date/time last modified but will give you crawled by and updated dates, so you will be able to tell if the info is from 2006 or 2016. Be sure to enter in a very specific website and then also click on summary link for even more details beyond the calendar. TC

https://archive.org/index.php

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not to the CDN network it won't. You have to have ad a coin business for a minimum of a year plus some other requirements to to join now according to their site. Their basic membership fee is also a 100 dollars a month now a days.

14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Don't bother trying to find that online as most sales are not listed by Browning number. Just buy a copy of Auction Appearances & Prices Realized for Early United States Quarters 1796-1838 by Steve Tompkins. He's already done the attribution work for the sales for you.

You can get a copy here. More info on it here. I believe the July 2014 edition is the most current, and you can get it on DVD as well if you want it to be searchable.

15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

There's a phone number on that site. Why not call them?

Draft saved Draft deleted