Online or B&M?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, May 2, 2015.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Simple question and I'm just wondering for the sake of discussion nothing more. Here's the question. On an average, do you get better deals on ebay or at your favorite local coin shop? angel7.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

LCS for sure, especially if you know the owner or are a frequent patron

spirityoda likes this.
  4. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

better deals at lcs, however limited variety.

rockyyaknow and spirityoda like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You forgot a third option: coin shows. :)

coinzip, fish4uinmd and spirityoda like this.
  6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Coin shows is the right answer. Two dozen guys (or more) in fierce competition, ability to compare what's offered, and negotiate, and best of all, coin IN HAND.

coinzip and vdbpenny1995 like this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Good point, I did forget to mention coin shows and there' was one in my city today dang it, missed another. You can definitely get some great deals at coin shows but I've gotten my best deals after 2pm on closing day of the shows. As far as my question goes ebay has some really good deals, sometimes the prices can't be touched by a B&M, especially most Token prices. With that said, I would never stop going to my LCS. Besides me being a customer, the owner is a good friend. My wife knows his wife and that obviously makes me a closer friend. If I'm looking for something special, I will always go to my LCS first then I'll check out ebay. If I'm just looking around, I browse on the bay. Bottom line is both places serve their purposes, so I need both. On pre-33 gold coins my LCS will give me the better prices, almost always. On coins below $50, I think I do better on the bay. Lastly, I will add that any coin shop who doesn't sell on ebay is selling themselves short. jmho.

8. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Personally online.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Coin shop. I like seeing it in hand and getting in their face when I buy.

10. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

My LCS for sure. Just bought a 2 1/2 gold pesos from mine for $75 just because at the time it was only about $2 over spot. Can't even come close to that on eBay or Apmex ect. Plus i trust him completely as well.

11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Shop/Show are best for knowing what I'm buying: I can see the coin in-hand, and chances are, the sellers are bringing lots of inventory (sometimes old world coins that they haven't priced or looked at in years) so they aren't paying as close attention to their coins' selling price as they might if they were to sell individually online. The sellers also don't need to pay Feebay or Paypal, which affects their sale prices.

Online is best as you can see huge numbers of world coins. Not that the selection or prices are very good at times(!) However, any coin shop or show where I live will have 90% USA coins, and 10% world (mostly Cananda/Mexico/GB) along with tokens.

12. handsomeblueboy

handsomeblueboy Kentuckyman

13. handsomeblueboy

handsomeblueboy Kentuckyman

Sorry my computer just did some weird restart . I go to the flea mkt a member of the coin club as a booth and he a good guy and knows more about coins than I ever will. Get to know your dealer and give him as much business as possible , one hand washes the other.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I do alot better on ebay and various online dealers. Too often the shops around me cater to the high end collectors & most are slab only. And their low value stuff is overpriced compared to online venues or average people like us to sell stuff on occasion on various boards.

15. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Coin Shows....

16. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Coin shows = 25 little coin shops, all in cheek-to-jowl competition, and no place to hide, all fighting for your sticky, wrinkled, torn $50 bill.

And in some cases, no sales tax. And free coin magazines, drawings, and advice. Gotta love it!

17. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

For me, online (eBay, and auction houses) and at coin shows. I only live in a city of 105,000 people -- so no local coin shop -- nearest one worth visiting is 90 miles away. Which is fine, I haven't had any problem finding enough nice stuff to keep me happy. :D

18. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

my best deals- running ads in the local newspaper and having customers with coins in hand appearing at my door. And local estate settlement auctions.

Draft saved Draft deleted