Online library

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Mar 23, 2020.

?

Is this a good idea are you willing to pay for such a large collection of books

Poll closed Apr 7, 2020.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes depends on the cost

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Absolutely not

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Okay guys my name is Chris I was thinking of creating online private library where to give you the choice optimal books for you to peruse that at your leisure it would be non downloadable so it would be protected and copy written and it wouldn't be free to any user you got to pay a small subscription fee and you have access to this library the library currently has about purse 110 books.... On coin collecting law

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. And what do the authors and publishers of these books have to say about your idea of sharing their work online for your personal profit?

4. kaosleeroy108

There profit is recognition... For such sublime works

5. -jeffB

LOL

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Have you considered the DRM problems? Unless the author has agreed with their publisher in advance over this and both have surrendered their right in writing, it would be a serious problem. Ask a copyright lawyer first. IMO, Jim

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Not sure you can do this legally. See what others think.

8. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp that this probably wouldn't work. Good idea but I would think that what @desertgem said would be an issue.

9. -jeffB

I'm quite sure that you can't. Look, I'm not a lawyer, but putting up copyrighted works in their entirety on the Internet without the owner's permission is the most obvious violation of copyright law I can imagine. It doesn't even matter that he's talking about charging for them, except that it would make the judge laugh even harder before going ahead and imposing prison time in addition to the usual damages and court costs.

I've never been quite sure whether this poster is just trolling. This thread is no exception.

Kentucky and Nyatii like this.
  10. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Yes, this seems a little too reckless to be taken seriously.

And it very much violates all copyright laws and would lead to take down orders, large fines and maybe worse.

11. kaosleeroy108

If it is kept private, on a personal server and only those with dedicated server access when nobody can actually download it but make it read only. It is admissible they already created as a PDF for use

12. kaosleeroy108

I'm just charging a cover charge to access the server

13. -jeffB

Yeah, go back and read the terms of use for that PDF.
    And violating the terms of use for every document that's on it.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Forget it.. Don't do it.

15. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

How do libraries have on-line access to books? Is it a violation of copyright laws for me to let a friend borrow my book? I sent three books to a friend of mine to read. He paid for shipping and handling. I would appreciate if you could tell me the difference, even if it is a pdf file that I loan someone and ask for donations to cover my costs.

17. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

There are some legal exemptions for academic research. In the past libraries have sent me Xerox copies of small pamphlets but it takes a long time - there are many hoops to jump through and sometimes you have to pay a fee of dollars per page. Printers who reissue copyrighted books require contracts from the author for modern stuff. Since the copyright law gives the author 28 years and they can legally renew the copyright several times the rule of thumb for things falling into the public domain is 75 tears. They do those issues more than 75 years old without worrying about copyright lawsuits. Hope this helps.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:bigtears:.. 75 tears

J.T. Parker likes this.
  19. -jeffB

The difference in your case is that each paid copy has only one user at a time. You bought the book. You can loan it or give it or even sell it to someone else, but while they have it, you don't. If you want to keep it and give it to someone else, you buy another copy.

Libraries typically buy the rights to share a certain number of copies of a book online. So, even though it's very easy to make a new digital copy -- in fact, you're really copying the information multiple times to get it from a storage device to a screen -- the library can only "loan" each book to one user at a time.

Yes, this legal framework is a poor match for modern information technology, where copying is ubiquitous. But it's the framework we've got.

JeffC likes this.
  20. -jeffB

The rule of thumb traditionally has been "however many years it's been since Disney made it big, plus a few, because Disney's lobbyists always manage to get the term extended further to protect their cash cows".

21. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

If you are worried about lending a book legally sell it to him for a dollar and when he sends it back to you buy it for a dollar. Refunding shipping is a separate issue and is not part of the purchase price unless you get paypal involved then they charge you a fee for the total including shipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted