Online dealer recommendations for classic U.S. paper bills?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dougmeister, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

New to collecting U.S. paper money.

Wanna get me a Black Eagle.

Also, what's the minimum grade I should be aiming for? EF? AU?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The grade Doesn't really matter just buy the nicest looking one that you can afford for the right grade/price

4. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

That's quite an expensive bill... you got $400 lying around for the lower grades?

5. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I'd say get the one you can afford though

6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The 2nd lowest buy it now one on the bay but you might get a better deal in auction your choice. 20201022_150300.jpg 20201022_150246.jpg

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The sweet spot is XF - AU notes with original paper, good eye appeal and problem free. Patience and research are the two keys. A popular note available across all grades and prices. Don’t buy a bargain, problem note telling yourself you’ll upgrade later. Buy it once. Buy something you’re proud of.

GoldFinger1969 and midas1 like this.
  8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I'd recommend SPMC membership
    Friedberg catalog

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Because you mentioned grades, I am assuming your are buying, or looking to buy, a certified note, which is good, but raw notes can be had at a good savings, if you know what you are doing. Other than that, like Steve said and the best you can afford.
    I paid under $200 for this one.
    1899 $1 Black Eagle Silver Certificate front.jpeg

10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I would recommend buying a certified note in an EBay, Heritage or Great Collections auction. It’s a common enough note that you shouldn’t need a dealer to search for one on your behalf. The buy it now example in this thread is way overpriced. A nice clean high VF like the one above shouldn’t be above the $200 range. If you want XF-AU you’re looking at $250-$300 plus. I have noticed large size type notes going up in price over the past several months.

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I see them on HA and GC.....I think you can get a 55-58 for under $400, right guys ?

Draft saved Draft deleted