Online coin dealers?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jmis, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Jmis

Jmis Active Member

New collector looking for reputable online coin dealers. I bought a few coins on eBay but learning from this forum and other groups it’s not the best place to purchase coins because of doctored up photos. Other than LCS and coin shows do you buy from any online trustworthy dealers?

Thank you

serafino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's a pretty wide swath for anyone to help out on. Probably get some good responses if you could narrow down your areas of interest.

4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Ebay is just fine, and most people telling you to stay away from eBay are probably trying to keep you out of the good deals. There's also Proxibid, but that place is weird. Ebay is where most people get good deals, but other sites such as Heritage Auctions or Great Collections are places to get coins over $100. Also be careful for "scammers" at coin shows. If you are younger, people will assume you don't know much and they'll give you crap like "Oh we have lots of those in stock right now" or "The market for those is down right now, so I'll offer $_______ (enter 40% of real value)" when you try to sell coins. Lets's see what others say...

5. Jmis

Jmis Active Member

Interested in Morgans, Franklins and pre 1933 gold

PassthePuck likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hello, Jmis.... Tommy is on the mark with his reply. Different dealers have different areas of interest. And yes there are lots of honorable mail order dealers out there...... Being an old hand I would like to encourage you to build a rapport with your local shop. It is in his best interests to guide your steps as you learn the hobby.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with eBay if you know what you're doing. You can always ask on forums like this if anyone is familiar with a particular seller before you bid or buy and be sure to read the feedback that is posted by previous customers.

Chris

tommyc03, JCro57, LA_Geezer and 4 others like this.
  8. toned_morgan

You'll find those coins for good deals on eBay, but be careful of fake gold coins. You wouldn't want to be scammed for $500! Make sure they are slabbed, but for Franklins and Morgans, raw and slabbed are available of all prices from $20 to $1,000.

LA_Geezer and Jmis like this.
  9. toned_morgan

When you ask people about help to buy and perhaps resell coins from eBay, ignore answers from BooksB4Coins and frankjg, because all they do is send useless insults instead of help.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A subscription to Coin World or Numismatic News can introduce you to a lot of dealers who place ads in those magazines. There's also many reputable dealers even in the classified sections of Numismatic News.

11. cpm9ball

FWIW, I know and understand where Books is coming from and I think you're a bit off base, but I don't know Frank that well.

Chris

12. cpm9ball

Tommy, the problem I have with this is that CW routinely publishes price guides that often mimic the prices of their advertisers.

Chris

13. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

Facebook's not bad either. Check out The Virtual Coin Show, or Lion of Judah if you're alright with dealing with collector/dealers too.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

"If you know what you are doing" being the key to this sentence. I see people all day long bidding stupid money on stuff, most of the time different forms of cons, (one coin from a pile of nice coins with a few roosevelt dime, wonder what I will receive, "uncle's collection" that turns out to be crap thrown in identical cheap slabs last week, etc).

Knowledge is your key OP. Buy books, read topics here, learn to grade and judge problem coins before you spend any serious money on a coin ANYWHERE. Then, learn some more at shows or a local dealer if possible. Then, when you are a numismatist, Ebay can be a place for some bargains amongst the piles of crap.

TypeCoin971793 and Jmis like this.
  15. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Look up hartville coins in hartville Ohio. About an hour from me, has closed his store but does all online, even eBay.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Two online dealers I use with no regret are Mintcoins.co and Rare coins of New Hampshire. Both sites are friendly and honest. The former for trivial modern stuff and the latter for high end quality stuff........

Mainebill likes this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I make a significant number of purchases on Ebay.

Ebay as a site and as a company has its own problems, but Ebay is made up of thousands of dealers. Some of them are great, take great pictures, have great service. Some of them are crap. You learn who the good dealers are on Ebay, and you visit their auctions more often.

For example, I can think of three Ebay dealers who I do business with on a regular basis, and who I would have no problem recommending whatsoever.

18. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Where did that come from? I will speak on behalf of books and say that maybe you just misunderstand what he's trying to tell you. I used to feel the same way about @cpm9ball . We've butted heads a few ties and then it just clicks. Need more time maybe?

ToughCOINS and green18 like this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Dave's Collectible Coins is good for modern stuff. And I've bought from Mount Vernon Coin once or twice and have been happy.

MaryK likes this.
  20. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

lol

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

IMO, there are lots of fair, good quality coin dealers on eBay. You need to do your homework first before buying, but I use that site frequently.

Draft saved Draft deleted