online coin buying and QVC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Alyssa2176, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Alyssa2176

Alyssa2176 Newbie

Qvc is like a home shopping network and I don't want to pay for re-plates or pretty fakes so I'm asking for advice on purchasing items from them or similar stores. I'm also curious about the simular tv ads for collectable memorial type coins ex. Ww2 or 9/11 coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Never buy a coin on a TV show or from a non coin magazine, as they are rip offs.

What exactly are you looking for, and we can point you in the right direction.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever buy anything from any of the tv collectible shows! This goes quadruple for the tv ads for coins and/or medals plated in 14 milligrams of "pure gold". If you took the time to figure it out, you would learn that this is worth less than $1 and they usually sell them for $19.95.

Chris

5. Alyssa2176

Alyssa2176 Newbie

I'm not looking for anything specific, it was more of a wondering question. If I buy coins online I will check with you guys first or buy rolls from the us mint. Thank you for the answers though, you are a huge help.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Best advise is simple, DON'T!

In general, the prices they charge will be, at a minimum, twice what it will cost you to buy the same item from a dealer either online or at a coin show. A four times markup is over a dealers price is not unusual.

7. Randy_K

Randy_K Love them coins...

You gotta figure that someone has to pay for the big newspaper ads or the 24-hour TV broadcasts like QVC or HSN. That "someone" is the customer like you. And collectibles aren't worth their weight in precious metal. Mostly the "market" for them is their melt value which, like mentioned above, is based on very little actual precious metal. Maybe a penny on the dollar, if you're lucky. The collectibles with precious stones only complicate the melt value but don't really make the "coins" more valuable.

You need to learn as much as you can about the coins or bullion you are interested in and then, armed with your new-found information, attend some coin shows. Talk to people and learn more detail about the grading and pricing. When you think you really understand the product, then start shopping at online coin dealers, coin shops, eBay, coin auctions, coin shows...

8. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

9. buddy16cat

Nothing rare about those coins, dealers have tons of buffalo nickels in big tubs that they can't get rid of. You can get a $1 face of Mercury dimes at melt or find them in a box of dimes from the bank, I found three.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

QVC does not sell coins. They never have.

That said, I wouldn't ever buy any coins from TV. It's just never a good deal.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This.

IN all collectibles, knowledge is both power and money. This is especially true in coins. If you gain the knowledge of where to buy good coins cheaper than TV or telemarketers, you are saving money due to this knowledge. You can NEVER know "too much" about coins. All knowledge will either make you a better buyer, a better shopper, or increase your enjoyment in the hobby.

Never stop learning. I have only been learning about coins for 35 years now, but know other collectors who have continued to learn over 50 years. You know what? They continue to do so since they are intelligent enough to know they don't know everything. ;)

12. buddy16cat

They are selling coins though, mostly in commemorative sets, many of which aren't worth anything hardly and you just pay for the frame they are in.

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

You have to be confusing QVC with someone else. They do not currently nor have they ever sold coins.

HSN, yes. Coin Vault, yes. QVC, no. ShopNBC did at one time but does not currently, either.

14. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Don't buy from those HSN SHOP ZONE shows. They're overpriced and can be found for more reasonable prices on eBay, or from a local coin store.

15. buddy16cat

What is this? http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...2877.desc.Treasure-Chest-of-51-Historic-Coins
    What is this?
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...em.C212843.desc.Rare-Classic-Coins-Collection
    What is this?
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...c.Spirit-of-the-American-West-Coin-Collection
    What is this?
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/....item.C212913.desc.USA-Four-Most-Famous-Coins
    Why don't you go to QVC.com and search coins. You will see coin sets they are selling.

Ebay can be good sometime but one thing it does do is tell you how much people are willing to pay for things but you have to consider things are more expensive in some areas than others throughout the country. Coin shops can be good but I notice a tendency for them to try to get more for coins than what they are worth. It can also depend on who is selling the item within the same shop. I know the one guy at a local PM shop who handles the coins likes to overcharge for stuff. He tried to sell me AG common date Barber halves $4 over melt which to me was too high, those were worth melt. During the same visit though I received a decent VG quarter at $5 from the owner. Truth is you can overpay anywhere but you will overpay by gross amounts on home shopping.

16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Is it possible QVC only sells coins from its website and not from its televised format?

17. buddy16cat

I knew a couple that sells on television at QVC and they were familiar with products I bought online. I told them I bought a turquiose jewelry set for my mother for Christmas and they said "the turquiouse sterling set? That is one of our more popular items". I am sure there is overlap. I doesn't matter though the sets they sell are totally overpriced, especially this one that includes the bicentennial half and quarter that are only worth face value:
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/....item.C212913.desc.USA-Four-Most-Famous-Coins

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

You shouldn't have posted those links. I had to talk myself down from buying those 51 historic coins. Luckily I remembered I have a few thousand of them in a bag around here somewhere - well except for those mercury dimes. :)

19. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Mike, I love ya like a brother... but...

[​IMG]

LOL!!!

20. buddy16cat

Don't worry

I like those "rare coins" that dealers have tubs full for a buck a piece they can't get rid of. I also like the bicentennial half and quarter but just remembered that I can get them both at the bank for 75 cents.

21. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted