One without a photo ... wow.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pop70, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Pop70

Pop70 Active Member

Question, actually 2. First, for an UNC. clad coin, what does it mean "high relief" Please ?
    Next, can someone please define "cud"; have seen this as referring to the rim only in other places I have seen pieces of metal within the coins surfaces as a "cud" ... sure would appreciate some clarification here please. Thank you so very much

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'll help you with the cud question: http://www.error-ref.com/cuds/

High relief is more or less just how offset the parts of the coin that are sticking out from the planchet. Not really something I have interest in so I'll let others give their two cents.

4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I guess that the easiest way to explain high relief is to show you an example that has, both, normal and high relief on the same specimen. In this case, I've chosen a medal from my collection.

Chris_ANA_1980LGsilver_MS69.jpg

The relief of the statue on the obverse is much higher than the fields of this medal, and the foreground scene on the reverse is only slightly higher than the rim in a few places.

You can also see from the side-by-side comparison that NGC had to use a thicker version of the slab for the high relief medals.

ANA High Relief Medals.jpg

Chris

McBlzr and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. Pop70

Pop70 Active Member

Well thank you very much, sure puts out some good info and examples, Trying to get the terminology down pat so thank you again. I truly appreciate it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted