one tael coin, have i been fooled

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by hemi1500, May 11, 2012.

1. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

i bought a One Tael coin off ebay the seller had it listed as "CHINESE MARK DRAGON COIN HENAN 45MM LARGE" and it the ONE TAEL from the Yun-nan province. Weight is 26.4 grams. The sellers description is Good quality, 45mm large.It is not attracted to magnets and not pure(925) silver...If i put a small magnet on it and flip it upside down the magnet stays,,not real strong but it stays..Now i have read it should weigh 37.7 grams. any ideas?

Can i put the ebay link here so people can see the coing it has good zoomable pics

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Of course you have been fooled. If you are dealing with Chinese coins and not know what you are buying, chances are you are much better off buying a lottery ticket.

Old World Coins likes this.
  4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

So you have a totally wrong weight, and it is magnetic. What ideas are hoping to get? Mint error? :dead-horse:

You are allowed to paste eBay links here.

5. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

Well i thought it was a cool coin, its large 40mm, i wanted to see what people here think,, i did not pay much but for fake its still too much. I should still get a refund as they say in the description "not attracted to magnets" well they were wrong.

6. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

Well, just remember in the future, buy the book before the coin!

johnyb likes this.
  7. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

yes i will,,,anyway is there a sight that can help "read the china tael coins and such to under stand the symbols.. dates ect...

8. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

here are pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Obvious fantasy, not even a fake. One side says Henan Province and the other side says Yunnan Province.

Details are hideous and crude. What else do you want me to say? Rare mule error???

Cachecoins likes this.
  10. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

thanks, I already contacted the seller it going back

11. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

just bad, i shall repeat my old statement , stop , stop stop buying raw coins off of ebay!!!!

12. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

There is nothing wrong buying raw coins as long as you know what you are buying. What's more important is to educate yourself. There are fake slab coins so you can't just buy slab coins and assume everything is ok.

Old World Coins, Bayern and capthank like this.
  13. Daniel Rubio

Daniel Rubio New Member

I have one that says hu-nan province on the bottom it has one tael and sticks to magnet I'd it real?

14. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

Definitely not silver if it sticks to a magnet, so yes, it's fake.

capthank likes this.
  15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Why do some of you have to give rude answers. This site is to show and tell, assist, and educate not to ridicule, be nice!

coin_nut, JeffC and Bayern like this.
  16. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Mr.Q Welcome to Coin Talk. Do you realize you're responding to a thread created almost 8 years ago, with 2 late replies posted almost 2 years ago. :) Peace, Have fun with the hobby and be safe.

17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I did not know that. One of my teachers said, " You will learn something new every single day." Thank you!

thomas mozzillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted