One-sided Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stephropabst, May 22, 2018.

1. stephropabst

stephropabst New Member

Hello all, I am new to this site and wanted to ask about this quarter that my mother found tonight while sorting through a bag of coins. One side is struck, and the other is not. It is thinner than a normal quarter, is one inch in diameter, it is .15 ounces, and it is 4 grams. What happened to it to make it appear this way?

DSC_1616edit.jpg DSC_1620edit.jpg DSC_1646edit.jpg DSC_1647edit.jpg DSC_1648edit.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk
    Someone had to much time on there hands PMD (post mint damage) not a mint error. JMO
    Dave

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The reverse was ground off. You can see the toolmarks from the machinery or tool that did it. Bench grinder is my guess. You can see where they had to turn the coin at different angles. It's not easy to hold a small object like a coin against a grinder wheel without it flying away from you.

[​IMG]

The next question is, "Why?"

Only the person who did it could tell you that. As @Dave363 suggested, it was probably someone who was bored and had a bit too much time (and some kind of grinding tool) on their hands.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Santinidollar and eric6794 like this.
  5. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Definitely post mint damage.

6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

It is Post Mint Damage. Not a mint error.

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed, it is post mint damage. A plausible explanation might be that someone intended to make a "love token" - engrave the back with initials or words, then for some reason didn't finish it. Just a guess.

8. Pawnmonkey

Pawnmonkey -----so easy even a monkey can do it-----

or maybe a 2 headed coin

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

It's too bad they didn't buff it to a high shine. That's what I'd do with it.

10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

11. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Damaged. They ground it off.

Draft saved Draft deleted