One Sided Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Benjamin Monken, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Benjamin Monken

Benjamin Monken New Member

I'm interested to see if someone can help with this. I have called a few coin appraisal places and am planning on going in to see someone. I currently have in my possession a Jefferson Nickel that is only struck on the back. I cannot debunk that it is a fraud. It is not sanded down. It is the same size shape and thickness as a normal Jefferson Nickel that I have checked from 1983-2000. I have no date, but I would like to see what this is worth before and after I certify if it is a real deal. image.jpg

Attached Files:

coin_nut likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

There's no way for a coin to be struck on only one side. The pair of dies act like a hammer and anvil, so if there's no strike on one side, there won't be on the other.

What you've got is a nickel someone ground the obverse off of.

SmokinJoe and Markus1959 like this.
  4. Benjamin Monken

If it was ground down then it would have marks. Nickels are not solid, they have an interior, plus it would not be the same thickness as a regular nickel

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Who told you nickels were not solid??? They lied. As far as thickness and even weight, there is a range in the specifications. What thickness do you have and what is the weight (to at least 0.01 g or more)?

SmokinJoe and Paul M. like this.
  6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, when you know for an absolute certainty, like any experienced collector, that it's not possible for the Mint to produce something like this, the explanation becomes a little clearer. I don't know what it is, but I know what it's not.

7. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Benjamin Monken is right. Stop trying to convince him otherwise. Bunch of know it alls!!!

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

There is a penny inside every nickel.

9. Kentucky

You're right, on second thought he should send it off to be authenticated, graded and slabbed...after all, how much could that cost?

10. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

This embodies everything wrong with error collecting (and there are a lot of things wrong with error collecting imho).

11. Kentucky

12. Benjamin Monken

To certify as a authentic mis strike it cost roughly $35 with shipping back and forth

DysfunctionalVeteran likes this.
  13. Kentucky

What company?

14. Benjamin Monken

Nickels have a core that is different from the jacket. If it was sanded or ground it would be very clear. It would not appear the same as mis strikes that are severely off center.

15. Benjamin Monken

Just the same as a clam shell there could of possibly been another coin inside the die.

16. Benjamin Monken

PCGBS is one of them

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Kind of like Cracker Jacks, a prize in every one!

18. Kentucky

NO NO NO NO NO...

19. Kentucky

Who the Hades is that???

20. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

No - nickle planchet coils are a matrix of 75% copper, 25% NICKLE - not clad like dimes, quarters, halves - you will NOT see a copper core on nickles!!

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Someone with a Dremel and the right sized buffing tool could do this easily and then polish it. Some folks have way to much time on their hands.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted