One Pound Coin Edge Lettering

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hommer, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I know nothing about British coins and just lucked into these. The edge lettering is upside down one one of these compared to the other. Is this normal? 20190720_172923.jpg

Autoturf likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

I like them coins, Reeded and lettered,Square , I know on the regular Sacagawea its random, but like to see what others say on that coin. I don't know.

4. Hommer

5. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

It'll be roughly a 50/50 split between them (like Sacagawea/Presidential dollars, and the vast majority of world coins with lettered edges).

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It is very normal and it all comes down to which side of the planchet is loaded into the lettering mechanism. It would be highly impractical to attempt to keep the lettering lined up to face either the obverse or reverse on a production line comprising millions of coins. Like TheGame mentions it's not just on pound coins but on most world coins that have lettered edges.

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Edge lettering is always "at random" indeed. Not sure about proof coins, but with regular circulation coins the roughly 50/50 mix is perfectly normal. In countries where edge lettering has been used for a long time, collectors do not really care - but when the first euro cash came out for example, people in countries where that was a new thing started collecting pieces with both "A" and "B" positions. Oh well. :)

Christian

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've got a friend who collects world coins and collects both the A and B type for all 2 euro coins. Ironically, he doesn't care to distinguish between first and second map...

chrisild likes this.
  9. Hommer

Thanks guys. As I stated, I lucked into these. They are a part of a single haul from the reject slot in a coin star machine. Several British coins and a few other foreign. Oldest coin is a 1919 Wheat. Was a fun haul. 20190721_055817.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted