One of a kind. Athena owl. Can someone tell me what I got here??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Paran0IdPsych0, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Recently acquired this and it was labeled as Ancient Greek ATTICA Athens circa 454-404 BC Bronze Drachm.

Bronze - 8.1 g
    Diameter - 19.5 mm

Iv never seen one like it.

Attached Files:

galba68 and sand like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Hmm...was this acquired from a reputable dealer?
    The fabric, surfaces, strike, and style all seem off to me. I've never seen anything quite like it. I'm afraid it looks like a fake or fantasy coin to me, but I hope I'm wrong!

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

The first Athenian bronze coins were struck circa 335 BCE. (Except for the famous emergency issue of plated Tetradrachms/Drachms around 406, which are of completely different style.)

The obverse is not like any actual Athenian coin. The reverse seems to be copying the Archaic Tetradrachms. (Except that the owl is facing the wrong way and other differences. There were a few types that did have left-facing owls, both at Athens and imitations.)

In any case, this is not an ancient coin.

I wouldn't call it a forgery, but a "fantasy coin," because it's not copying any actual types with any kind of fidelity. So I don't think it was produced with intent to deceive. It sounds, though, like the seller clearly meant to deceive.

In a few minutes of searching I couldn't find any other examples, but no doubt there are more out there and some explanation of where they come from and why.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

6. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen some UK dealers sell "bronze drachms" of Athens modeled after the silver tetradrachms for some time now. Definitely a fantasy coin.

7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posts - the coin is probably a fantasy. The weight is off for it to be a drachm (too high - closer to didrachm weight). The only didrachms produced by Athens in the 5th century BC are in Starr Groups II.A, II.B, II.C, III and IV, all very to extremely rare.

The obverse style is odd and seems to be attempt to mimic the style of the Syracusan tetradrachms of the first half of the 5th century, while the reverse is a stab at creating an owl in the classical style.

The overall appearance of the coin is of nearly perfect surfaces. No attempt was made, apparently, to "age" the coin. Still, the coin is a curiosity, but certainly of little or no numismatic value, I think.

8. Thanks very much everyone. I knew this was the place to go. That being said I have 2 more that are 100% real though there oddities for sure. Anyone have any info on these?

Attached Files:

Bing likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have never seen a bronze owl. I believe that these were silver based, on denomination alone.

10. Not very sure though I bought it from Cody111111 on eBay who is a reputable dealer and in person it's a gorgeous piece just wish I knew more about it

philologus_1 likes this.
  11. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

To be a reputable dealer on ebay, you just have to actually ship the stuff, whatever it may be. Nothing more.

12. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's true, but in this case cody111111 (or however many 111111s) is actually a well-known collector & vest-pocket dealer who has been around & very active for over 20 years. He's generally considered very competent & professional

Edit: now that I think of it, someday some scammer will register the same name minus or plus a 1, so make sure it has the right number!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    Bing likes this.
  13. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

In this 2nd group, both look probably genuine, and the source is very reliable.

First one looks like the bronze core of a tetradrachm fourrée. The silver plating is gone. You see that sometimes.

The final one is also Athens but later, c. 225-198 BCE. See CNG MBS 50, 23 Jun 1999, Lot 696 (p.94, BCD Anonymous Collection of Athens AE), which references a similar coin as Kroll 69 & Svoronos pl. 24, 12.

14. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

There were fourrée owls in the late 400s BC. Silver-plated bronze tetradrachms.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted