One nifty nickel - extreme toner - will trade for land - poll

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by GenX Enthusiast, May 2, 2019.

?

How much can I get for it?

1. 1/5 of a small box of matches at the res Smoke Shop.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3 cents at my local LCS

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. 200k on ebay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. At least a nickel

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  5. Technically, all of the above

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Here's the pictorial, and please be honest with the poll, it doesn't work otherwise. I tried to get the light on every part of the reverse. Monet would be jealous. I'm going to call it "Jefferson regardant par la fenetre le soleil couchant sur Monticello". Or maybe just "Brigitte", or "Le Bardot". SingleShot0183.jpg SingleShot0179.jpg SingleShot0180.jpg SingleShot0181.jpg SingleShot0169.jpg SingleShot0170.jpg SingleShot0171.jpg SingleShot0173.jpg SingleShot0174.jpg SingleShot0175.jpg

TexAg and Devyn5150 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Colorful but odd toning.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  4. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Interesting coin. Well, with such nice advertising, why not 200k on ebay? ;)

Just like with modern art, if marketed correctly...

"The variety of colours on the reverse symbolize Jefferson's diverse ideas while designing the Monticello. While the obverse represents Jefferson's aspirations to the presidency. The coin's intrinsic value is minuscule, but, it's artistic merit far outweighs the face value."

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just don't call it "Le Petit Parisien"!

Le Petit Parisien REV.jpg
    Le Petit Parisien OBV.jpg

Chris;)

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You don't see the damage and obvious environmental damage? Interesting just not cared for.

7. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Well-Known Member

I like toned coins especially when they look like yours.
    I had to give your poll the, “at least 5 cents” option because it seems beauty really is in the eye of the beholder and it is difficult if not darn near impossible to say how much a person would pay for what they thought beautiful.
    Like I heard it said, “you’re buying the coin, not the holder”, I don’t buy a coin because of an anticipated or expected return, I don’t buy a price tag, I buy a design, a coin I like and a coin I like to look at.
    Certainly I wouldn’t mind making a modest living or an extra few bucks a month off of coining but, I’m a collector first and, a coin like yours in my collection would get much attention.

8. GenX Enthusiast

...so no land? 1/2 acre?

While I am keeping the "Bardot", a complete babe for 5 cents, I thought the choices made clear that this was a sarcastic critique of the toning market, ebay, enthusiastic newbies like myself and of course, those slimy nickels in general!

I did take care in crafting the questions so that the only real possibility was all of the above. Thanks for playing my stupid game;)

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a nickel. If you like the colors put it in a 2x2 flip and keep it.
    No extra value to me.
    These modern coins have been mass produced and toning can be
    achieved by many natural and unnatural methods.
    It doesn't enhance the beauty to me at all.

10. GenX Enthusiast

Now, even though the first post was a joke, I feel the need to defend the honor of my nickel!
    @Michael K - Point by point:
    1. I do like. I kept it, in a Littleton folder for circulated finds. Uncirculated live elsewhere.
    2. Cool. The market would disagree, as this sort of toning brings ridiculous premiums, which was the origin of my own commentary-crappy coin elevated by chance encounter with palette of unknown origins.
    3. Morgans and Benjis were mass produced and as we've seen, even common date MS 64s with ridiculous toning command up to 800% premiums on book value. I.e a 90$ coin by grade going for over 1000.
    4. Ok. Its only real attribute is its color. Beauty relatively subjective. I agree to disagree;)
    (Why the heck does spell check not recognize "its" as a word anymore?)

I'll take 1/4 acre for it. Or an outbuilding.

11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I voted, "At least a nickel," but that's only if it's not plugged.

12. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

In NJ you can get one square foot of sod (land) for five cents but the delivery is much more. That being said I would love to own that coin

13. GenX Enthusiast

That's a pretty good deal, as long as it's not Newark soil. For shipping I'd have to find a few more nifty coins;)

@LA_Geezer - Score! Not plugged just cruddy.

14. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Ah, so it's a rigged poll! I stand by my vote for the plugged nickel nonetheless.

15. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

Cunning linguist I like that. How do I change mine from new member? Or do I half to waite?

16. GenX Enthusiast

'Tis only a slight exaggeration, too;) For the life of me, I'm trying to find where to Edit my profile and I can't! It seemed easy at the time?

17. GenX Enthusiast

See, I should've made it "Who can write the most ridiculous yet somehow accurate Ebay AD for this cruddy nickel." @Legomaster1 has talent;)

Legomaster1 likes this.
  18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

maybe you can get an outbuilding like this

upload_2019-5-3_11-34-15.jpeg

19. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I think it is a rare depiction of a massive fire at Monticello.

20. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I really like the colors in your coin. I voted “At least a nickel” as I am a CRHer at heart and don’t like to pay more than face value, lol. Your coin would definitely go in the nickel page of my Toner Dansco album!

21. GenX Enthusiast

Deal, but I want the boots and beers, too.

I'll stop now, thanks everyone!

Spark1951 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted