One most people dont know about

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dv8one, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

So the story goes the mattole region of humboldt county california decided they wanted independence from us currency in 2007, so they started minting theyre own coins for tradevand barter they are .999 silver and very beautiful needless to say though it didnt work out allthough some in mattole still use them as a barter trade

Attached Files:

furham, alurid, imrich and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Interesting. I was unfamiliar with the region, and these pieces, but the "jumping trout and sunburst" motif is indeed quite lovely.

Dv8one likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

PS- I suppose these will (or already have) made their way into the Krause "Unusual World Coins" catalog, as such private issues or "micronation" strikes often do, but I think my edition of that catalog is almost as old as the date on this piece, so it's unlikely to be listed in mine.

Dv8one likes this.
  5. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Right it is a very good looking coin

6. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

I know it was in world coin news but if you google mattole money you can read about it its pretty cool

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

The online version has a 10 Petols listed as being 1.0017, 0.999 silver. But there is no reference to a 20 Petols. It has catalog number X#1. Listed it as minted by Northwest Territorial Mint with a mintage of 2000 and a value of $45.

Dv8one likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Aha! I suspected it might have a KM "X" number. Thanks.

As mentioned, my copy of that catalog is pretty old - maybe first edition. And I'm not even sure where it is at the moment.

9. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

What is km "x" number mean

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

news-petol-coin_.jpg From The North Coast Journal

Dv8one likes this.
  11. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

Seattlite86 and Dv8one like this.
  12. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Nice i live in humboldt i have a ton of em

13. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

That's cool, have you ever used any for an actual transaction there? I was planning to cruise the bay this evening and possibly snag one but that was thwarted by $8000 in fraudulent charges on my debit card 10 minutes ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Are you serious that sucks man im sorry i hope your bank gets charges figured out again im sorry thats gotta be rough i have never used them no. But i have friends who have and still do use them with a couple stores and amongst eachother for trade

15. lordmarcovan

KM = Krause-Mishler.

The publishers of the Standard Catalog of World Coins.

Krause-Mishler also publishes a volume called Unusual World Coins, which lists quasi-official, non-governmental issues like this. Coins listed in the Unusual World Coins volume have catalog numbers that start with "X". So, instead of "KM-123", for example, something might be (KM) "X-123" (or whatever the catalog number for the type happens to be).

Dv8one likes this.
  16. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Nice thanks for info i always learn so much on this forum

17. lordmarcovan

Me too. Sometimes I teach, and just as often I learn. Nice the way that works. :)

18. Trigg

Trigg New Member

Hey im sorry to intrude but i just found a buffalo nickel with no date but i know that this nickel isn't really worth much but i turn it around and the buffalo is up side down what do yall make of that?

19. lordmarcovan

It is normal for a US coin to have that kind of rotation. If you look at the ones in your pocket, you'll find that the reverse is upside-down in relation to the obverse ("heads") side.

A no-date Buffalo nickel is generally worth around ten cents, I'd say. Even with no date, it should be worth a tad more than face value, since people make jewelry and belt buckles and such out of them. But with no date, you're generally looking at a piece worth only a few cents.

20. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

@Trigg is there a letter under the Buffalo and word five cents on the back? It would be a D or an S

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very sorry to hear about the situation. I hope it resolves soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted