One more try, 1954 wheat

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Marie909, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

it would be a partial shift but not enough to create a separation of the "doubling" thus one gets "fattened" letters. Some of them have very slight "edges" in a sense. If you look really closely at all the DDs for that year
    http://varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/DDO 1945-D.htm

See how fat the G is, the others a bit fatter too
    upload_2020-3-23_21-47-8.png

I think it's 002 myself, quickly looking just from the extra height on the top/bottom of the O and D. But there's a lot to look at

Marie909 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

For what it's worth, the notch in the 1, the thick tail in the 9 and the stretched/thick features in the 4 and 5 were the tells for me.

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I never looked at the reverse of the coin and noticed that the date was doubled and believed that was what she was posting about. I was disappointed in that the first few post that I read seem to shoot it down when i knew it was truly a DD.
    Glad to see someone else caught it.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I think that the closeup of EPU might have thrown us off the scent a bit. There is MD there for sure, so a case of leading the witness perhaps. But what was great here is that we had a poster post nice photos of the Obverse and Reverse where we could jump in here and do some detective work.

Danomite and Marie909 like this.
  6. Marie909

Marie909 Active Member

Thanks again, I'm going to "try" to use the reference links given to me tonight more often, I have already learned so much tonight

rascal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted