One more time 1983 D lmc weighs 2.74 g

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Martha Lynn, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Some time ago I read a thread which covered this topic but cannot locate it again. Shouldn't a 1983 d weigh about 2.5 g ? WIN_20190308_18_35_54_Pro.jpg WIN_20190308_18_35_38_Pro.jpg vlcsnap-2019-03-09-12h04m07s692.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Yea, Meow comes across zinc pennies that weight a bit heavy once in a while too. How over weight, or underweight does it have to be to of interest?

5. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

I checked out the link Alurid provided but still don't see
    where the extra weight fits into that chart. It only states
    the weights I am already aware of. Where does 2.74 come
    in to play.? Thank you ………..martha

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The copper alloy cents weigh 3.11 grams +/- 0.13 grams or 2.98 - 3.24gr to be in normal range
    The copper coated zinc cent weighs 2.5 +/- 0.10 grams or 2.4-2.6 grams.

This is the tolerance demanded by the mint before pressing and should be the uncirculated -uncorroded weight range,( not after circulation where dirt, oil, corrosion, fingerprints, etc. adds to it). A single packet of splenda ( yellow one) contains 1.0 grams so you can calibrate your scale to see if it reads 1.00g. ,

I suspect from looking at the cent, that corrosion and adhesions might make up for the heavier weight you have if the scale is accurate. I'm not saying it isn't , but weighing such, be sure to regularly calibrate the scale as moving it around or air flow can make a difference. Jim

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  7. desertgem

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

9. MeowtheKitty

Meow found a penny that was 2.7 some odd a few weeks ago, but threw it back to the wild. Was that a mistake?

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Of course visually we know the OPs cent is a zincoln that is corroding. Just look at that plating bubble.

11. desertgem

Be sure to calibrate your scale before any critical weighing

After putting a coin on the scale, cover it with a clear glass bowl or such, wait 15 sec and then read through the glass.

If your scale only has 1 number past the decimal point, that last number is rounded and not fully accurate.

If it has 2 numbers behind the decimal, only the first number after the decimal is accurate

If it has 3 numbers behind the decimal, only the first 2 numbers after the decimal are accurate

If you buy a new electronic scale, buy one with a "wind shield " , a calibration weight, and at least 3 numbers after the decimal for weight accuracy in such cases.

Jim

Here is an example for less than $20, but if you need to weigh 10oz silver bars, you will have to pay a lot,lot more as this one weighs up to 50 grams. Calibrate often.

https://www.amazon.com/JamBer-Milli...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BDJB3PBZZF5NT0HRQ5N7

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. It was within tolerance.

13. MeowtheKitty

How heavy or light does a penny have to be to warrant attention?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My rule of thumb is .4 gram out of tolerance, so for a zinc cent about 3.0 grams (2.5 +.1 +.4) or 2.0 grams (2.5 -.1 -.4) For a zincoln I might go with .3 grams out. (2.1 or 2.9) 2.7 isn't going to cut it.

15. MeowtheKitty

So that much variance is considered no big deal eh? If it did have a variance like that, what would the prognosis be? Wrong planchet? Defective Planchet?

16. paddyman98

The majority of the time is either a rolled thick or rolled thin sheet. Meaning the sheet that was used to cut out the Blanks were not rolled to the specific width that it should of been.

17. paddyman98

18. MeowtheKitty

19. BondJBond

BondJBond New Member

20. BondJBond

BondJBond New Member

There are more than one or two this is a 1983 d weighing 2.0 consistently with calibration and i've had many other 8388 that were off a little bit with more damage than this but this is flat out one half gram off every single time and is not any chunks with missing so there is something to it but I don't know what

Attached Files:

21. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin is severely corroded and quite a bit of zinc is missing, especially on the obverse. The weight loss is due to the zinc rot.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted