One More Please... '69D Kennedy - DDO or MDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Double Die, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I've found very little info to work with in trying to determine whether this one is a true DDO or not? There is one CONECA listing but no pics for the MDO, and just an unassigned slot for a DDO.

There are well defined spreads and split serifs of IGWT and the date as well as lesser splits on the TY of LIBERTY. I think there is also a slight spread on the profile as well? I do not see any of the MDO characteristics described in the listing (http://varietyvista.com/Variety Master Listings/kennedy doubled dies 1967-1970.htm#_1969-D)

I enlist your input and opinions as to if I have a winner or not?

69d5010.jpg 69d5011.jpg 69d50.jpg 69d501.jpg 69d502.jpg 69d503.jpg 69d504.jpg 69d505.jpg 69d508.jpg 69d509.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You linked us to a description of literally exactly what you have - an MDO on the 69D.

Sure, it is genuine doubling. But it is master die doubling, so every single coin of that date is going to have the same thing.

alurid likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Just making sure you understand that it is the master die that was doubled not a Mechanical doubled obverse.

5. Double Die

Yes I supplied the link as it was the only one available for any comparison. I do not however see any spread on the LI, notching on the I, or the hair under the R as listed? This is why I think there is something more going on.

6. Double Die

Yes I understand, and why I'm questioning my coin.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Did you read the description?

8. Double Die

Yep, every detail. For me personally, pictures for comparison would make it easier for my mind to associate the details. Since none are provided, I still leave room for my findings to be in my favor. I am an optimist:wideyed:

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

you have a *normal* half dollar.
    It's is *normal* for doubling
    because
    this is all Understanding the Die creation process
    and at WHAT LEVEL the doubling occurred,
    which then affects everything AFTER that high level doubling.

there are a few steps before this (see link at bottom), but
    the (a) "Master die" was doubled.

then
    one uses the (a) Master Die to creates as many (b) "working hubs" as they can (which is going to replicate that doubling from the Master die).

then
    the (b) "Working hubs" are used to create as many (c) "Working Dies" (which is going to replicate that doubling from the working hubs from the master dies)

then
    The (c) "Working dies" are then used to (d) mint the coins which are from the doubled hubs which are from the doubled master die.

So there is going to be slight variations through use etc but all the (d) coins minted from all those the (c) Working Dies contain the same doubling from the (b) working hubs from the (a) Master Die.

.. or something like that ==> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coining_(mint)#Modern_die_production

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

As you stated there is a DDO-001 listed.
    Notice that it is labeled as unassigned?
    The reasoning is that the DDO that was once thought to be, is one in the same as the MDO.
    Every working die that was made with this master die is MDO, just like the 72 Philly Lincoln.
    I don't think that any photos would change wether or not your coin is a MDO. Especially after 50 years of variety searchers looking for the next big one.

I just checked a few of my 69'd a few of them show the same doubling as your photos.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, but he's an optimist with a million dollar coin. ~ Chris

12. Double Die

Yeah, I'm an optimist and am proud of it, no matter your assessment .

As I earlier stated, there were no pictures I or anyone could or would supply to compare my coin to, only written descriptions so pardon my refusal to give up on it.

If wrong, so be it and I can accept that, but I'm unwilling to give up without visual and definite proof. As for the unassigned designation, I thought it was an opening for new findings, not disavowed ones so my bad on that.

And contrary to some people's opinion (yours), this is not about a monetary find but a possible new discovery and the exhilaration that goes with it. I've never asked the value of a coin on while on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted