One more owl Starr Group question

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Sep 24, 2020.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

This Athens owl was sold in the last Goldberg auction. It is listed as a Starr Group III, but I believe it to be a Starr Group II. I think this because of the curve in Athena's hair line, the three separate tail feathers touching the trailing claw, the relatively large head on the owl, and the terminal sprig on the scroll touching the center of the leaf on Athena's. I would appreciate comments from those CT members who are more knowledgeable about Starr Groups than I.

[​IMG]

Attica, Athens. Silver Tetradrachm (17.2g), 475-465 BC.
    Early transitional style. Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet, the crest box ornamented with chevron pattern. Reverse: AΘE, owl standing right with closed wings, head facing; olive sprig with two leaves, one berry and cresent moon behind; all within incuse square. HGC 4, 1594; Starr Group III. Uniform light grey tone. Toned. NGC graded XF; Strike 5/5, Surface 3/5. Estimated Value $500 - UP
    Ex Tareq Hani Collection.

DonnaML, furryfrog02, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Yes, I think this coin fits more into Starr Group II, but I am a relative newcomer when it comes to Chester Starr's system of cataloging transitional tetradrachms.

The obverse, in particular, is very similar to the style used for the dekadrachms.

I have Starr's reference before me, and I'd say this coin is very similar to Group II.B, 39.

Even with the slightly rough surfaces, it is a lovely coin and probably well worth the winning bid.

tartanhill and happy_collector like this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

A very lovely Owl tetradrachm indeed. I also agree that it should be a Starr II.

tartanhill likes this.
  5. robinjojo

I should add that I found the Starr group attributions in the recent Goldberg auction pretty off-target.

I don't know if bidders were interested in Starr group varieties, but if they were, they should have done some homework just be certain that the coin was assigned to the correct group before bidding.

tartanhill likes this.
  6. tartanhill

Yes, I agree. There have been several misattributions in recent auctions, and I have been trying to get the groups straight in my head before bidding.

7. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with the assessment made by tartanhill that the coin imaged in the photo is a Starr group II coin. I too am very unsure about the organization of the coins of Starr II and III and I can easily understand the lack of certainty. However on another note. I did get this owl. Not a Starr in fact far from it. Athens Ar Tetradrachm Flament Group III Obv. Flament III 20 Rv Flament III b 17.20 grms 22mm. CNG 115 Lot 143 Their photo Bought it for my research into the later mass coinage series image00143.jpg

8. robinjojo

That's a very nice example.

I've seen this coin described as an eastern imitation, due to the style of the eye, with its more dropping lower lid, but I do think it is a late classical mass production tetradrachm from Athens, with the eye beginning to open, anticipating the profile eye of the intermediate tetradrachms.

Here's a late mass production tetradrachm, a recent acquisition, that shows this transitional eye.

Kroll 8

17.19 grams

D-Camera  Athens tetradrachm, after 449 BC, 17.19 grams,  9-25-20.jpg

9. robinjojo

While we're on the subject of Starr groups, here's another Group V coin. This example seems to match, or nearly match Group V.A, 166b.

It came to me in a NGC slab, which I eventually cracked open. NGC graded this coin VF, but I would say it is a split grade: VF- for the obverse and VF for the reverse. The reverse is what sold the coin to me. The obverse has rougher surfaces and there seems to be some die wear, but the coin has clearly circulated for a period of time.

17.11 grams
    25 mm, 3 h.

D-Camera  Athens tetradrachm, Starr Group 5A, 166b, 17.11 g.,  9-25-20.jpg

10. tartanhill

Just out of curiosity, did the reference on the slab attribute this as a Starr Group V.A? The rounded body on the owl looks more like a V.B to me.

robinjojo likes this.
  11. robinjojo

No, the NGC slab does not have a Starr group attribution.

I think you're correct - this coin is a Starr V.B. I'll need to look at the examples in the catalog to see if there's a match, but the differences are quite subtle and many of the photos are quite dark and grainy, so I may not be able to find a match or even a near match.

tartanhill likes this.
  12. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have looked at my new coin and compared it with two other Flament Group III coins that I own. I believe that the same celator cut all three dies. Except for the obvious difference of the eye, the rest of the design is very similar. I find the Robinjojo coin to be very interesting. The overall structure of the face and the rather small mouth kind of reminds me of this guy. Again the eye is very different. Athens Ar Tetradrachm "Doll Face" Obv. Head of Athena with profile eye. Rv. Owl standing right head facing HGC 1598 392-380 B.C. 17.12 grms 21 mm Photo by W. Hansen athens10.jpg

13. tartanhill

Just as a follow up to this discussion about the misattribution of Starr Grooup owls, these are all listed as Starr Group IV owls by Bertolami in their current auction 92. I don't think any of them belong to Starr Group IV.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

None of these have the basic features of a Starr Group IV owl which include three separate tail feathers on the owl and an upward curve in the hairline on Athena. And this all goes to support the idea that you need to know what you are bidding on; the auction house is sometimes not correct in its attribution.

14. robinjojo

Absolutely none of those coin qualify as Starr Group IV owls. They are mass production owls. The first two owls have centering/flan issues, but the remainder look well-centered and EF or better in condition.

Has anyone looked at Roma's E-Sale 75? It is up and running, with a large run of Athenian tetradrachms.

tartanhill likes this.
  15. robinjojo

I love your "doll face" owl. I've seen it before, and it is always a pleasure to see it again.

I've regarded this coin as one of the best classical-to-intermediate style owls around.

Draft saved Draft deleted