One more off the list!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

A beauty
    A beauty

Curtisimo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

thanks everyone, and thanks for posting all those cool plautillas!

looking at martins caracalla/plautilla pair, i didn't really consider that caracalla was just a young teen as well when they were married.

stevex6 likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Plautilla's father was an old friend of Septimius and was making every effort to set himself up as second in command or even heir apparent to Septimius after Albinus had been replaced with the young Caracalla (born 188, he was ~8 when he became Augustus). Had Septimius died in 196-203, I suspect Caracalla would have met with and 'accident' and Plautian would have become emperor probably over the dead bodies of Domna and a pile of others. As Caracalla grew older and more self assertive, Plautian was killed, it is said, by agents of the 15 y.o. Caracalla who never wanted to marry Plautilla in the first place.

There were many personalities in Rome over the centuries but Caracalla would be hard to top when it comes to pure cussedness. He was not a playboy, a religious fanatic or stupid. He was decisive and in charge. In the business he was in, perhaps those were not bad characteristics. We like to think Geta would have been better but that is one we will never know.

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very nice portrait, @chrsmat71!

I have one of the popular marriage issues:

plautilla.jpg

6. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Chris, excellent new coin.

~Doug

49.jpg

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Coin is cool - but the photo is straight up amazing. How far you have come. I do miss the table though.

chrsmat71 and maridvnvm like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

thanks AN! i still have it, it's just retired from the job of "photo backdrop". :p

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted