One more Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jrs146, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

I've been on a little bit of a frenzy but this will be the last one for a while. Sellers pics are not great but they had strong feedback and a good return policy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice 78 cc there Jrs the reverse looks spotless

4. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Thanks! Now time to wait for my new acquisitions to come in the mail. I'll have this though to keep me busy.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dwhiz, Cascade and SilverMike like this.
  5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Reverse is amazing, probably would get a 65 if not for the blemishes on Anna's cheek.

6. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Those darn bag marks!

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I just purchased this and a grading book from Messydesk one can never have enough references .

Cascade and jrs146 like this.
  8. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

That coin has nice eye appeal in my opinion.
    Good choice of books. One more I recommend is The Art and Science of Grading Coins by Jason Poe. I learned a ton from that book; it was succinct and easy to understand.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Not really a grading book but rather a morgan specific mini Redbook by QDB that touches briefly on a lot of aspects of morgan dollars as well as a full page with brief info and pricing for each date & mint It does have a grading chapter though. I actually started my morgan journey with that book albeit the 4th ed not the new 5th with the 1964 master die, hub & galvono discoveries. Good book for the beginning morgan collector!

talkcoin likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Notice his use of "and".... ;)

You're certainly right though; it is indeed a fine starter reference and one that the OP, hopefully, throughly enjoys. Congrats to him, both on the coin and especially for his willingness to learn.

Cascade and talkcoin like this.
  11. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

The new book is out already, I thought it was not coming out until 2017.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ah ha. Long day

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Btw, I'm thinking VAM 4. Time for bed now

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Wish pic was better, but from what these tired eyes see, it is A-OK.:)

15. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Thanks! I'll check the book out.
    I'll have to check that one out too, thanks!

Thanks! Trying to learn as much as I can. So much for a new guy to absorb. Already made a few mistakes... nothing terrible but now less buying and more reading!

I got it on Amazon. $13 and arrived in just a few days.

Thanks! I'll take better pics when it arrives.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

VAM-4 is a B1 Reverse; this is a B2. You're tired, man. :p

EDS of VAM-9 from the MM location and broken 4th star. I'm thinking the LDS die scratch thru the O in ONE should be visible in these pics, but I may be wrong. Jrs146, have a look here for the pickups for this variety:

http://www.vamworld.com/1878-CC+VAM-9

For the record, VAMs are the identified varieties of Morgan Dollars. The name is an acronym for the gentlemen who codified them, Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis. Mr. Mallis has since passed but Leroy is still going strong and is the person who designates new Morgan varieties. I don't know the exact count as of today, but the number of identified varieties across the series has to be approaching 6,000 - it's evolved into an effort to identify as many Morgan die pairs as possible. The majority of varieties carry no additional value - this is one of them - but the search for those varieties is a consuming passion for many Morgan collectors (/raises hand).

Given that half of all Morgans were melted under the provisions of the Pittman Act, it's obvious that the job will never be "complete." Doesn't keep us from working towards it. :)

17. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Thanks for the great info! I'll look st the specifics once the coin arrived and I am look at it in more detail. I need to buy a magnifying glass! Do the grading companies indicate the VAM when submitted?

18. SuperDave

Only ANACS attributes all VAMs; PCGS and NGC attribute a select list of the more "important" ones. There are interest-related "lists" extant, created by some of the more prominent Morgan folks over the years, which form the basis for their attributions.

Mistakes in their attributions abound.

Don't forget, in most cases attributing a Morgan is only a scholarly exercise which makes no value difference in the real world. Some few, though, carry significant premiums due to their rarity and collector interest. A typical 1878-P 7/8TF of a more common variety will set you back less than $100 in Mint State; an AU VAM-44 will cost $thousands if you hit the lottery and find one. :)

jrs146 likes this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Duh. Short nock. That's what I get for shooting off the cuff while tired. I have to agree with probable v9. Pics are horrible though

20. SuperDave

Easy attribution. B2; MM location high, right and slanted; broken 4th star. VAM-9 only.

Cascade likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted