One more Morgan GTG

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, Aug 18, 2019.

?

Please guess the grade:

Poll closed Aug 21, 2019.
  1. 58

4.5%
  2. 63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 65

18.2%
  5. 66

40.9%
  6. 67

31.8%
  7. 68

4.5%
  8. 69

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The only thing that concerned me was the mark on her cheekbone right behind her nose. If that is a luster break, I see no problem with it at 66 (as discussed in Grading Experiment 4). However, if it is actually a mark, I think 65 is an acceptable grade for her. Just no way to tell with those pictures.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Out of curiosity, would you have bid it up to $260?

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

No, I’m worried the photos are hiding something. But if I saw it in hand and thought it was an MS67, I would have gone higher than $260.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Fair enough.

Although lately 67s are selling in the $400-$500 range, so the risk vs reward might not make it worth it to crack even if it got a 67.

6. Lehigh96

Wow, really? Then I probably wouldn’t.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

The 67 market has really fallen off lately.

I say part of the reason is that old (and even some more recent holdered) 65s and 66s are getting into 67 holders. You might disagree though.

Another thing that I noticed is a large surge of ICG graded 67s on eBay. Those sell for $150-$300. It appears that enough people are seeing those results and thus not bidding as much on the NGC/PCGS examples.

The market in general is falling for many common coins (and with fairly large populations for some dates, 67 graded Morgans have become common as well).

8. Lehigh96

Would the coin in question bother you if it was in MS67 holder?

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Is a 65cac in old NGC holder more desirable/valuable than a 67 in a new one ??

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'd like it as a 66 or a 66+ but I would be ok with 67.

I wouldn't pay high end 67 money for it though (I'd expect it to auction somewhere around the $500 mark if it got into a 67 holder).

These examples from one of my prior GTG that were 67 bothered me (both came from the same auction site, GC...to me they were closer to 65-66 than the coin from this thread):
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/gtg-with-a-twist-morgan-edition.342535/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

In most cases an untoned 65 with a green sticker in an old holder would sell for less than a 67 (without a sticker) in a new holder.

The average untoned 67s are going for $400-$500 (the nicer ones still net more).

A nice 65 with a CAC sticker can be had for $135-$200 (closer to the higher price for older holders).

An interesting quirk is that a nice looking coin in an old holder without a sticker can sell for more than the same coin with a green sticker. The reason for this is that people perceive it as a gold sticker or upgrade candidate (often not justified). The green sticker signifies A or B for the grade, but it also suggests that the upgrade potential isn't there (which may or may not be true).

My guess is that something similar happened with the coin from this thread. At least two people thought it had a chance to upgrade to 67 or get a gold sticker. If it had a green sticker, I would guess that it would have sold for less.

Edit: all of the above could change if we were talking about a nicely toned example or a PL/DMPL example.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I don’t see the 67 that you posted much different from the OP coin. They are NOT two grades apart.

13. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

What about a gold sticker on an old 65 -vs- a new 67 ?
    just curious of the market.

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

If I were buying, I would rather have the gold bean.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don't think they are 2 grade apart either.
    I believe the coin in the first post is the nicest of the three, but at most by 1 point. The two 67s would either be 65 or 66 by my standards and the 65 would be a 66.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

The gold sticker could push the old holder 65 beyond the 67. It's no certainty (I've seen some sell for below 67 prices while others were more).

The gold sticker is an interesting phenomenon as it allows many possibilities. Technically, it is supposed to represent a coin that would green sticker at the next grade (per an old interview with John Albanese, founder of CAC). In reality, I've seen a wide range of quality within gold stickered coins. Some I didn't see anything special at all (they barely looked better than a typical coin of that grade) while others looked multiple points undergraded. The great examples will bring the big premiums while the so-so examples with still fetch a solid but often lower premium.

Here are two recent examples that I saw:
    1. An MS 64 Gold CAC Morgan that looked several points undergraded...sold for more than 66+ generic examples of the same date.
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...lver-Dollar-NGC-MS-64-CAC-Gold-Label-OH-Toned

2. An MS 65 Gold CAC Morgan that looked at most 1 point undergraded (I'd actually argue that it looked correct at 65)...sold for 66/66+ prices.
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...-Dollar-PCGS-MS-65-CAC-Gold-Label-OGH-1st-Gen

Morgandude11 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted