One more gold coin to consider

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, May 19, 2024.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Ok, so this’ll be the last gold coin I post. I appreciate all the input on the others. This one might be a bit more tricky as there doesn’t seem to be as much diagnostic info out there on counterfeits. As always, photographing gold is a challenge and I did my best under various lighting setups. Thoughts on grade and authenticity would be appreciated!
    IMG_8411.jpeg IMG_8412.jpeg IMG_8408.jpeg IMG_8409.jpeg IMG_8342.jpeg IMG_8345.jpeg

Spark1951 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'll be honest, I'm less familiar with this type. @johnmilton will be more capable here.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not the go to guy either. I checked the mm placement and it seems to be correct. At least position wise with others on coinfacts.
    The photos are a bit too blurry to fully confirm size and detail.

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is genuine example, which is PCGS graded MS-66.

Quarter Eagle Pan All.jpg

I don't care for the piece you posted because it appears to lumps of metal in the field. That looks like a casting to me. As you can see, this variety comes with smooth fields. The mintage, which was only 10,000 with the net down to 6,749 because the unsold pieces were melted, was not high enough for die states to occur.

Here's another view of the obverse.

Quarter Eagle O.jpg

imrich and fretboard like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think one of the biggest things I don't like about this coin, and several of the dollar coins you posted in a recent thread, is the "mushiness" of the letters. Notice on the real coins how the letters are crisp... and on the fakes they are "washed out". This is most apparent on the "sition" obverse right.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Anthony Swiatek, in his book Encyclopedia of the Commemorative Coins of the United States, mentions that there are counterfeit examples of this coin. He goes on to state "displaying a soft strike, field depressions and tooling marks within inscriptions and above the S Mint mark". I think Jason's observation of mushiness of the letters makes this coin suspect of questionable authenticity.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah…. Seems the Indians and one dollar princess are most convincingly counterfeited, but the Beijing mint is a prolific bunch….. I have one of these in my SDB and don’t have it in hand to compare, but I’m afraid that I’m not a big fan of this one either. It is just too lumpy.

Draft saved Draft deleted