One less on my wish list :-)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by cmezner, Apr 1, 2023.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Several CTers have shared their Titus denarius with Venus reverse.

Finally, I was able to win one - it certainly is quite worn, legends are partially incomplete on both sides; but I'm happy to own one. haven't received it yet and the description only says the diameter, not the weight. Will weigh it when I receive it.

The strange thing is that I don't agree with the sellers description and attribution, which is: RIC II.1, 34 and legend on the reverse TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII PP.

In my opinion it is RIC II.1, 15 because there is no “PP” on the reverse legend. The legend is TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII and it was struck before he was named PP.

What do you think?

Rome, 79 AD, after July 1st
    RIC II.1 (2nd edition), 15; RSC 268; BMC 255; RCV 2448;
    18 mm, 5h
    Ob.: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG (PM), laureate head of Titus to r.
    Rev.: TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII Venus Callipyge, seen half from behind, nude to hips, standing r., resting l. elbow on column, spear in l. hand, helmet in outstretched right

upload_2023-4-1_22-4-16.png upload_2023-4-1_22-4-28.png

Please share your Titus denarii with Venus - they are lovely - or anything relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

4. cmezner

next one on my wish list, a Titus denarius with an elephant, like yours @Bing - it seems wish lists never end....:rolleyes:

5. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

My Titus is as Caesar with Neptune on the reverse. I honestly don't pay attention to many other aspects of coins other than the bust, and that is what drew me to this one. I haven't noticed many others of Titus that are so detailed.

upload_2023-4-2_0-21-47.png

Eduard, The Meat man, Limes and 12 others like this.
  6. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

7. cmezner

8. GarrettB

GarrettB Active Member

Some very nice Titus coins there. Any coin with an elephant is a winner, too! This one with the dolphin coiled around the anchor is a little more faded than the coins I usually like, but Titus seems to command a bit of a premium now (though cheaper than most other 12 caesars obviously). Titus.jpg

Curtisimo, Eduard, expat and 10 others like this.
  9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice score, congrats!

15.2.png

Rasinon, Curtisimo, Eduard and 10 others like this.
  10. cmezner

... and the elephants keep coming; it must be a sign that I definitely have to be looking for one;)

Limes and GarrettB like this.
  11. Dafydd

Dafydd Supporter! Supporter

Here are a couple of mine.

upload_2023-4-8_21-19-29.png
    upload_2023-4-8_21-19-53.png
    RCV 2519
    upload_2023-4-8_21-21-12.png

upload_2023-4-8_21-23-29.png

Titus AR Denarius. Rome, AD 80. IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, laureate bust right / TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P, wreath on curule chair. RIC 108; RSC 318. 3.06g, 18mm, 6h.

upload_2023-4-8_21-24-58.png

Titus Caesar, 69-79 Dupondius circa 77-78, AR 29.5mm., 12.32g. Radiate head r. Rev. Felicitas standing l., holding caduceus and cornucopiae. Bastien, Lyon 106. RIC Vespasian 1253.

Very Fine/About Very Fine.

From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

GarrettB, Curtisimo, Eduard and 7 others like this.
  12. cmezner

Those are very beautiful coins @Dafydd, real beauties. The capricorn denarius is really special. Thank you so much for sharing.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I too want one of those. And you’re right! They’re infinite!

cmezner likes this.
  14. cmezner

Bummer :rolleyes: - you are also not helping:D it is what it is:)

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's what we get for being humans, I suppose.
    My dogs never stop looking for that next tasty treat, so I guess we have that in common.

cmezner likes this.
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent coin @cmezner

Here are my only Titus denarius, and a Venus reverse that is related since it's for Julia Titi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Q

17. cmezner

@Cucumbor, a Julia Titi:) - another one I have to put on my wish list :D

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. Rasinon

Rasinon New Member

Thanks for posting. These coins have a special place in my heart as it was the first coin I ever bought at auction. Interestingly enough, it was a whim bid that I never expected to win. Here's mine:
    Titus_Venus.jpg

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@cmezner , congratulations on your new Titus denarius.

These are the ones in my collection:

Group of five 5 denarii of Titus - OBV - 2019 - 2023 - OKP - 1.jpeg Group of five 5 denarii of Titus - REV - 2019 - 2023 - OKP - 1.jpeg

20. cmezner

That's impressive @Eduard you really have an awesome Titus set. Love them all:)

Draft saved Draft deleted