One last coin for 2019 (wrestlers AR Stater)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help myself. This is coin type I've been lusting after for 2 or 3 years. I know some of you also have this type of coin, so let's see them.

91800q00.jpg
    Selge, Pisidia
    Silver stater
    Selge Mint
    23.7mm, 9.054g
    O: two wrestlers, the left one holds the left wrist of his opponent with his right hand, and right forearm with his left hand, K between their legs.
    R:slinger discharging sling to right, wearing short chiton, ΣEΛΓEΩN upward on left, triskeles with feet counterclockwise over club on right, round border of dots.
    BMC Lycia 18, SNG BnF 1941, SNG Cop 247, SNG Delepierre 2827

chrsmat71, Volodya, Bob L. and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I've already shown this one very recently... but well, I'll play anyways. A "wrestlers-and-slinger" stater, but not from Selge:
    Magna Graecia – Pamphylien, Aspendos, Stater, Schleuderer:Ringer.png
    Pamphylia, Aspendos, AR stater, 380–325 BC. Obv: two wrestlers grappling; FИ between; in exergue, EΛVΦA MENETVΣ. Rev: slinger in throwing stance r.; EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to l., triskele to r.; all within dotted square border. 23mm, 11.04g. Ref: SNG France 97–98; Tekin: Aspendian Wrestlers (2000), series 4. Ex AMCC 1, lot 35; ex "Tiberius" collection.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    chrsmat71, Volodya, PeteB and 16 others like this.
  4. Sallent

That's a real pretty one. I love the flow lines on the obverse, and the coin looks to have some cool high relief details. Very nice.

Orielensis likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Sallent/ glad you gave in to your urge....you will never regret that. Lovely coin, I am happy you have it in your collection:happy:!

tibor and Sallent like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I love it @Sallent. This is a coin high on my want list. Yours looks excellent. Well centered and good detail. Love the triskeles on the reverse.

Sallent likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice! Sharp Triskeles.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a nice Selge. Mine's an early one from Aspendos, showing the wrestlers tugging at each others' belts.

Pamphylia Aspendos - Stater 2247.jpg
    PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos
    AR Stater. 10.94g, 24.2mm. PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos, circa 420-410 BC. SNG Cop -; SNG von Aulock -; Tekin Series 1; SNG BN 47 var. (direction of triskeles). O: Two wrestlers grappling; the one on the left holding his opponent's leg and belt, the one on the right holding his opponent's neck and belt. R: EΣTFEΔIIVΣ, slinger in throwing stance right; triskeles to right in field; all within dotted square border.

chrsmat71, cmezner, PeteB and 7 others like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's loaded with appeal, Sallent! :)

Z-- I've been trying to find an earlier one like yours with the different wrestling hold. They aren't plentiful :(.

zumbly likes this.
  10. zumbly

Took me quite awhile to find mine. They don’t come up all that often now, but you never know when a hoard of em will suddenly turn up. Pity the recent hoard had bucketloads of Aspendos staters from the warrior/triskeles series that were struck just before the wrestlers series.

TIF and dougsmit like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I enjoy these with countermarks. Of course it is also better if they have the variant wrestling poses, too.
    g61800bb0450.jpg
    Fortunately for me, the damage to the obverse from the flattening when the countermark was applied to the other side tends to offset demand for the countermarked coins.
    g61805fd3291.jpg

While I agree, I am hesitant to buy these quite yet unti; the market sorts out the really popular perfect ones from the omly VF but having interesting minor types. The prices will go up for the coins I don't buy anyway but I expect the mid range coins to become cheaper. These don't have the guaranteed market that the owls have. Usually it is wise to buy them when they are fresh and available but there are enough of these that dealers stuck with too many will have to drop to the new normal. Time will tell.

chrsmat71, PeteB, Orielensis and 6 others like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a great coin, with a different wrestling style / scene. Very cool.

Wouldn't that be SKINNY-MAN's Sumo Wrestling?

:D

zumbly likes this.
  13. zumbly

Smart move, I think. Naturally, I went the less smart route and overpaid for this deeply abused one last year.
    PAMPHYLIA Aspendos - Stater Warrior Triskeles.jpg
    At least the triskeles on the reverse looking more like a man running right still makes me laugh... :shame:

PAMPHYLIA Aspendos - Jay Triekeles2.jpg

Orielensis, panzerman, TIF and 5 others like this.
  14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Way to go on the pancrase coin. I really enjoy the different types displayed in this thread.
    Mine has enough ware that the slingers cape gives the appearance to look like a massive dairy air:
    6227D569-B871-45A4-A727-0A056202122C.png
    Pamphylia. Aspendos
    370-330 BCE
    Stater AR
    22mm., 10,17g.
    Two wrestlers grappling; AΦ between / EΣTFEΔIIVΣ, slinger to right, triskeles in right field.
    very fine
    SNG France 83

15. Sallent

Thank you. Back in early 2018 I was re-examining my collection and came to a sad conclusion. I had so many Roman coins from the Crisis of the Third Century that they made up 70‰ of my collection. And while I like them, it demonstrated a clear lack of diversity and representation of other time periods. Since then I've branched out and in the last two years bought 12 Greek/Celtic coins, 11 Roman Republic denarii, and 3 LRBs. I even got 5 Roman Imperials from the 1st Century (another area I had been neglecting).

From an aesthetics point, this has done wonders to my collection. And from a historical/human interest perspective, I think my collection has also greatly benefited. And let's face it, as beautiful and interesting as third century Roman Imperial coins are, some of the most iconic, interesting, and endearing coin types in our hobby are found during the Greek and Roman Republic periods, and even the first century of the empire.

Once I reach my limit of 200 ancients and are stuck with selling off some to upgrade and get nicer coins, I'm thinking of re-opening a collection of medieval and Asian coins (on a much smaller scale to my ancients collection). Maybe a 50 piece medieval collection, and a 50 piece Asian collection. But that's for years in the future. First I need to max out my ancients collection and spend a few years trading and upgrading to get it to where I can truly say I've maxed out and done the best 200 piece ancient collection my budget can afford.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    panzerman likes this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

With me, my last addition was a German States/ Breslau AV 1/12 Dukat 1709 Emperor Josef I, before that a AV Solidus from Arcadius, however I love them all. Some of us specialize, others like myself, "all over the map/ time eras"
    But in the end we are all different and the hobby is better for this:) I can always thank my parents for getting me interested in history/ coins.....

Valentinian likes this.
  17. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Wow. That obverse with the legend below the wrestlers is new to me. Must be very rare!

dougsmit likes this.
  18. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

have a very skinny slinger o_O

AR Stater, Aspendos, Pamphylia struck ca 330/325 - 310/300 BC
    23 mm, 10.30 g
    Ref.: SNG von Aulock 4575; SNG Copenhagen 240; Tekin 5th Series, Planche XXVIII, 15; SNG France 122;

Ob.: two naked wrestlers, the figure on the left grasping his opponent’s arms, their heads pressed together as they strain against each other, within dotted circle. Monogram E between them.
    Rev.: slinger standing right about to discharge his sling, triskelion in right field, O between legs, within dotted circle. In left field EΣTFEΔIIVΣ Of Estwedus", the local Greek name for the city of Aspendos
    upload_2019-12-6_17-2-28.png upload_2019-12-6_17-2-39.png
    and a not so skinny one:

AR Stater, Aspendos, Pamphylia, ca 400 - 380 BC
    18 x 26 mm, 10.90 g

Ref.: SNG Copenhagen 205; SNG BN 74; SNG von Aulock 4518; Tekin 3rd Series, Planche XXVII, 6; SNG France 3, 104

Ob: two naked wrestlers, the figure on the left grasping his opponent’s arms, their heads pressed together as they strain against each other, within dotted circle
    Rev.: EΣTFEΔIIVΣ to l., slinger standing right, about to discharge his sling; triskelion in right field, sling bullet (or grain?) below, all within dotted square

upload_2019-12-6_17-6-26.png upload_2019-12-6_17-6-39.png

Draft saved Draft deleted