One I Bought, and One I Couldn't

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Noah Worke, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Exciting news! I've been reading "The Reign of Antoninus Pius" by E.E Bryant, and listening to podcasts about the other Antonine emperors. I of course thought it would be only fitting to buy a coin. One problem- the coins of any Antonine emperors can get quite spendy. I saved up about 100 bucks for the express purpose of getting a nice coin of Antoninus Pius, who is as of right now my favorite Emperor. My first ancient, a beautiful Gordian III Antoninianus, was from Vcoins, so I bought this one from MAshops. https://www.ma-shops.com/saenn/item.php?id=37970 I'm excited for it to finally get here. Of course, I couldn't find just one that I wanted terribly. My search yielded two results that fit my parameters, and choosing one over the other is never easy. I turned down this coin: https://www.ma-shops.com/koelnermuenzkabinett/item.php?id=41596 for the first one. I really like the portrait on this one, it's phenomenal. I really like the reverse as well, I've always liked eagles. I believe it was issued by Marcus Aurelius after he officially deified Antoninus, and the history behind that is fascinating. Reading about these emperors, it's plain to see how much of an impact he had on Marcus Aurelius, who held his adoptive father in high regard. Antoninus saw Hadrian's body brought back to Rome and deified him immediately, just as Marcus Aurelius did for Antoninus. I think the Antonine Dynasty is my favorite in Roman history due to the period of stability they represent. Except for Lucius Verus and Commodus that is. Anyway, use this post as an opportunity to post a coin that you purchased after some indecision and one that you almost bought.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Both nice looking coins

Noah Worke and Abramthegreat like this.
  5. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Noah Worke ....Nice example!

This exact type was my very first purchase of a Denarius many years ago.......Quite a nice little historical reverse depiction, being minted in the spring of AD 145 to commemorate Pius' fourth largesse distributed to celebrate the marriage of his daughter Faustina II and Marcus Aurelius Caesar.
    normal_Antoninus_Pius_White__1_-removebg-preview.png
    Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161) AR denarius, struck AD 145-161. Rome mint.
    Ob..ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP,(Antoninus Augustus Pius Father of the people) laureate head right
    Rev..TR POT COS IIII,(Tribune of the people 4 times Consul) Liberalitas standing left, holding abacus and cornucopiae, LIB IIII across the fields.
    RIC #155 type 1

6. Noah Worke

Nice one, I like how clear the legend is. I also bought mine because of the historical substance of the reverse. I like that liberalitas, the goddess of generosity was chosen for Antoninus who was named Pius.

7. Noah Worke

Thanks! I'd consider it my first "real" ancient coin purchase since it's for a particular area of interest.

expat likes this.
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

And a great first. My first purchase was also Antoninvs
    Antoninus Pius AE As, Rome, AD.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted