One from Frank's latest auction -- who else participated?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Outbid on several, but I did get this nice as of Nerva. This is Frank's photo; I'm sure it will look much better in hand.

Post your latest acquisitions through Frank's auction!

Nerva LIBERTAS PVBLICA as.jpg
    Nerva, AD 96-98.
    Roman Æ as.
    Rome, AD 97.
    Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, radiate head, right.
    Rev: LIBERTAS PVBLICA S C, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 86; BMCRE 131; Cohen 115; RCV --; ERIC II 152.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I bid on 4 but the pricing on the coins passed through my ceiling, but I did end up with this one.

CARUS, Ant, VIRTVS AVGGG, Ruler & Jupiter stg, A/XXI; VF, well centered,

dark greenish patina with sl earthen hilighting, mildly grainy. Strong portrait detail.

Note the three Gs date this to the brief period when Carus & both sons were all Augusti, thus rare.

carus.png
    carus2.png

I will shoot an in-hand photo once the coin arrives.

4. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    FAUSTA, Æ3, SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Fausta stg w/babies, SMALA.
    Choice EF, rev sl off-ctr, nice smooth deep brown surfaces, superb sharp hair detail that just pops out at you.

I bid on two ancient women in Frank's auction, and won the one that I wanted more so it's a win-win. :) His auctions are so straight forward, I really enjoy them.
    (also these are Frank's pics and description)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What I like most is his prices realized are listed including the high bid as well as the selling price. That eases my angst on the lots where I was high underbidder by telling me the winner was willing to go much higher. There was a lot in this sale that sold for $550 on a bid of $905. I was not underbidder on that one but the lots I did win come with a total reduction of $113. Photos will come when the coins arrive. Many of you know I don't post winnings before they arrive. Call me superstitious.

ancient coin hunter and Trish like this.
  6. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

No e-mail from Frank yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope that I won one or more of the coins I bid on.

7. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Just checked the results, looks like I won five coins (three Parthian, two Sasanian), including one that is especially interesting and worthy of further research. As usual, I will be posting these coins only when I have them in hand and can take my own photos.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I picked up this neat provincial medallion. Frank's pics and description :

Gordian III - Tarsos AE37 Ciliarchs crowns.jpg
    GORDIAN III
    Tarsos, Æ37, 2 concentric Ciliarch's crowns decorated with small heads;
    F/AF, obv centered, lt tan, bold & nice; rev darker, sl off-ctr, somewhat crude.
    With tags from Frank Kovacs & Pegasi ($295).
    RARE rev type (note, the usual version has table below crowns; this one without table is even rarer).

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The GIII Tarsos is an example of what I was talking about. I was the leading bid on the weekend for a while. The prices realized showed I would have had to go to $100. Is it worth that? I backed off on this and three other coins that I lost in the last two days. Who was right will be shown when we see your photos. Like all dealers, Frank's pictures have to be diagnosed. In most cases the coins end up being better than his photos but this one has a way to go on the reverse before it becomes 'pretty'. Frank's use of the word 'crude' also takes some learning by experience. I will be anxious to see your thoughts and photos.

My winnings also included two Parthians. I hope I did not bump heads on them with Parthicus but I was leading on both for weeks one one was reduced $41 so I assume that means the 'real' Parthian students did not think it was worth what I bid. In practice, auctions are won by the one willing to pay more than something is worth to everyone else. When I win many coins, I assume I was bidding flagrantly and foolishly. When I win nothing, I win nothing. That seems worse.

One of my new Parthians was to upgrade this one. I will have to decide if this old one has anything going for it that requires keeping both. The new one cost three times as much as this but it is better in many ways. Stay tuned. Updates will follow when the post office allows.
    op0075bb3092.jpg

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Darn, I'm sorry we ended up butting heads over this one, Doug. :oops:
    I was pleasantly surprised my bid wasn't pushed any higher (a benefit of bidding too much for it?), but I agree about the jury still being out. I'm often pleased on receiving coins from Frank, but sometimes, a junky coin is just that. Reading his descriptions closely is a must. This one has a nice enough portrait, but we'll have to wait to see how the reverse turns out looking. I'll try to do my best with the pics, but a downside of winning over you is that the coin will look worse when I show it than if you were the one doing the honours. :shame:

11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I haven't heard or looked if I was a winner with Frank. I usually just wait to see if a package shows up. I only bid on a couple of coins, since I have wasted quite a bit of coin money on the two Vahran II coins I posted earlier today, (and G&M in March). I did win a group lot of Parthian silver that also has a Gotarzes piece in it. I bought it for a high grade late Parthian in the group.

Here is the group:

GL010LG.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  13. ancient coin hunter

I don't think Frank emails you about your winnings. Check the results page...and by the way I deleted his email where he posted the URL of the results page. Anyone know the URL of this page?

Orielensis likes this.
  14. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

Frank emailed me with an auction invoice for the one I won and the total cost with shipping. He attached the full results at http://www.fsrcoin.com/results108.htm
    I'm hoping that's okay to share(?).

Orielensis likes this.
  15. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander likes this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

Thanks @Parthicus - just double checking that I actually won the lot, which I did. I was in touch with Frank with about 5 minutes to go in the auction and he emailed me that my bid was still good. I got outbid on several - including a Valerian II ant of JOVI CRESCENTI type with the goat. Starting price was $40 I bid $60 and was in good shape when suddenly the going rate was over $150 for the coin, so I dropped out.

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol. I didn't bid on any Sassanids at Frank's auction. Nothing I needed there. :)

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats a great portrait

19. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Justin Lee and Severus Alexander like this.
  20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Good to hear, and I'm flattered to have been confused with Curtisimo. :happy: I'm hard at work on the catalogue now, should be up near the beginning of May!

OK. You're superstitious. :D

I believe these are my FSR wins this time around:

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 1.22.23 PM.jpg
    (I guess I was jealous of @Pavlos! :troll:)

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 4.09.15 PM.jpg
    As many have noted, Frank-photos create a bit of mystery, I think he must use a web-cam from 1996. Hopefully I'll be surprised in the right direction; I liked the sound of "good fault-free metal." (I've been half-heartedly chasing one of these for ages, but have never bid enough before this.)

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 4.10.45 PM.jpg
    Bid strongly on this one... really wanted an INV AVG legend, and what a great pedigree!

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 4.26.28 PM.jpg
    An upgrade.

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 4.27.11 PM.jpg
    I think I got this for a steal, even with the hole. Pretty sure it is a scarce Bulgarian (or possibly Serbian) imitation. Looking forward to researching this one.

zumbly, dlhill132, Parthicus and 8 others like this.
  21. ancient coin hunter

Draft saved Draft deleted