One die three coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, May 9, 2019.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

The last year and a half have been good for completing the 'persecution' set and I wanted to share my findings. Finding the die match between these spurred me to acquire them so I could see in person how close of a match they really and using software only confirmed my suspicions. Still need to purchase a workshop 5, but images online were adequate to match them to my two.
    Here are three coins that all have matching reverse dies, and two with matching obverse and reverse dies.

civic_i_a5.jpg
    A Workshop 5 sold by Roma Numismatics in February 2019
    civic_i.b2.jpg B Anepigraphic Anonymous under Maximinus II
    civic_i.d.jpg C Anonymous under Maximinus II struck summer 312 AD

After studying these three types I determined that they all shared the same reverse die. All three share Apollo, while A and C also share the reverse inscription die, and that B and C also share the same obverse die as well. I also concluded the B was struck first as I have found multiple examples of A.
    Here are some overlays I made.
    civic2.PNG This one shows the same obverse dies were used

civic.PNG A over C .............................. A over B ........................ B over C

I am unsure why B was made in the first place only to be recut adding the inscription. I think this is a rare occurrence but if anyone has an example of the same die being used on more than one type of coin, please share.

Thanks for looking!

Sulla80, chrsmat71, Pavlos and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I don't have any astute observations to make, just... wow, that's awesome!!

David@PCC likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not the same reverse die as yours, but....

Maximinus II 8.jpg Maximinus II 5.jpg

5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I was amazed myself and wasn't sure what to make of it first. I suppose when working with coins that used such few dies, it is more likely to make discoveries like this.

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted