On this Day (May 29th) 1453 Constantinople Fell to the Ottoman Turks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, May 29, 2021.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

fall-of-constantinople-1453.jpg

Post any Byzantine coins in memoriam...

constantinevii.jpg
    Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus, with Romanus I and Christopher, 913-959.

(AR, 25 mm, 3.15 g, 12 h), Constantinople. IҺSЧS XRISTЧS ҺICA Cross potent set on three steps; below, globe. Rev. +ROmAҺO' / XPISTOFOR' / CЄ COҺSTAҺ' / ЄҺ X'ω ЄVSЄ/b' bASIL' R' in five lines. DOC 18. SB 1754.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

This explains why I woke up in a fowl mood today. :drowning:

4. ancient coin hunter

Heh

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

1,480 years is a good run for an empire.

6. ancient coin hunter

Definitely agree with that sentiment!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's my most recent Byzantine acquisition that was minted in Constantinople:

[​IMG] Justin I, AD 518-527.
    Byzantine Æ follis, 17.03 g, 34.3 mm, 7 h.
    Constantinople, 4th officina, AD 518-527.
    Obv: D N IVSTI-NVS P P AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: Large M; cross above, stars flanking; Δ//CON.
    Refs: DOC 8d; MIBE 11; SB 62.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My ottomans say "Sup".

otto.jpeg

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Start of another Empire at C-Town

[​IMG]
    Ottoman Turks
    Sultan Mahmed II
    1451-1481
    took Constantinople in 1453
    Serez mint
    AR 1.2g

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Eastern Roman Silver

[​IMG]
    ER Andronicus II - Michael IX AD 1295-1320 AR Basilikon 22mm 2.1g Constantinople Christ enthroned - Andronicus l Michael r labarum DOC V 1 Class VIII

[​IMG]
    ER Manuel I Comnenus 1143-1180 CE Aspron Trachy 35mm 4g Christ Gospels Labaran globus cruciger Virgin maphorium SB 1966 scyphate

11. ancient coin hunter

World's Oldest Marching Band...

12. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

12 Nummi - Emperor Justinus I. - Alexandria mint
    Justinus.png

13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

14. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

As close to the end as I can get. I like to think of the possibility these two might’ve been in the city during the siege and it’s fall. I’ll call it Istanbul when talking to others but in my heart the city will always be Constantinople :)

John VIII Palaiologos, Byzantine Empire
    AR stavraton
    Obv: IC-XC, Facing bust of Christ, surrounded by eight dots
    Rev: IWANHC DECPOTIC O PALEOLOGOC QV XAPITI AVTOKPATOP in two lines around nimbate facing bust of the emperor, dot to left and right
    Mint: Constantinople
    Date: 1425-1448
    Ref: SB 2563
    Size: 6.66 gr.

[​IMG]

John VIII Palaiologos, Byzantine Empire
    AR half-stavraton
    Obv: IC-XC, Facing bust of Christ
    Rev: IWANHC DECPOTIC Q PALEOLOGOC, nimbate facing bust of the emperor
    Mint: Constantinople
    Date: 1425-1448
    Ref: SB 2565
    Size: 3.3 gr.

[​IMG]

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...out with the old...in with the new...and a tip o de hat to Orban the Hungarian cannon maker & those very Christian crusaders who sacked Constantinople beforehand ..:D mehmed ll.JPG silver coin of Mehmed ll 002.JPG Akre of Mehmed ll

16. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

Above all do I feel sorry for the population of Constantinople when a bunch of savages, rapist destroyed this city and raped and enslaved the population.

I) Honorius, (A.D. 393-423), gold solidus, Ravenna mint, issued A.D. 402-406 (4.41 g), obv. pearl diademed bust draped and cuirassed of Honorius to right, around D N HONORI VS P F AVG, rev. VICTORI A AVGGG, emperor standing right holding standard, Victory on globe, left foot on captive, R V either side, CONOB in exergue, (S.4244, RIC 1287, C.44, Biaggi 2321). Large flan, lustrous.
    provenance from Noble PTY LTD; from private purchase of a Roman coin dealer; private Italian collection

II) Anastasius I, (A.D. 491-518), gold solidus, issue of 491-498, Constantinople mint, 3rd Officina, (4.40 g), obv. helmeted and cuirassed bust three-quarter face to right, holding spear and shield, around DN ANASTA SIVS PP AVC, rev. Victory standing left holding long cross, around VICTORI A AVCCCG exergue CONOB, star in right field, (S.3, DOC 3c, T.71, R.-, MIBE 4a). Lustruous tones.
    provenance from Noble PTY LTD; from a private collection; from CNG Triton XX, january 10-11, 2017 (lot 942); from the Alan Goldman Collection; purchase from Comptoir des Monnaies, June 2011, with ticket;

III) Justin I, (A.D. 518-527), gold solidus, issue of 519-527, Constantinople mint, (4.48 g), obv. helmeted and cuirassed bust three-quarters right, holding spear, around DN IVSTI NVS PP AVI, rev. Angel standing facing holding long cross, cross on globe, around VICTORI A AVCCCB, in exergue CONOB, star in right field, (S.56, DOC 2b, MIBE 3). Full large flan, well centred, lustruous.

provenance from Noble PTY LTD; from a private collection; from CNG Triton XX, January 10-11, 2017 (lot 984); from the Goldman Collection; previously from Harlan Berk, BBS Sale 177, 15 November 2011 (lot 39), with ticket;

IV) Justinian I (527-565). AV Solidus, Constantinople mint, 10th officina. Struck 527-538 AD. Obv. DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVI. Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing slightly right, holding spear over shoulder and shield decorated with soldier on horseback riding right. Rev. VICTORIA AVGGGI. Angel standing facing, holding long cross and globus cruciger; to right, star; in exergue, CONOB. D.O. 3i; MIB 5; Sear 137. AV. 4.47 g. 22.00 mm. A brilliant attractive example. Broad, unclipped flan. EF.
    Provenance from Artemide Aste & Artemide Kunstauktionen, San Marino; from a private Italian collection;

V) Eraclio e Eraclio Costantino (613-638) - Solido - I busti coronati di fronte /R Croce su tre gradini Ratto 1364/1365; Sear 738 (AU g. 4,45)
    Provenance from Inasta SPA Italia; from a private Italian collection;

3d972f21232b4609b64c874aabb9b59f.jpg
    9d22d653f76849419ae0b93c56fb1b63.jpg
    II_1.jpg

II_2.jpg
    III_1.jpg
    III_2.jpg
    IV_4.jpg

IV_5.jpg
    V_1.jpg
    V_2.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Curtisimo, tibor, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  17. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

The most important, first depiction of Jesus Christus on a coin!

Justinian II, first reign, 685-695. Solidus (Gold, 20 mm, 4.39 g, 6 h), Constantinopolis, 692-695. IҺS [CRISTOS] RЄX RЄSNANTIЧM Draped bust of Christ facing with cross behind head, raising his right hand in benediction and holding book of Gospels in his left. Rev. [D IЧSTI]NIANЧS SЄRЧ CҺRISTI [officina letter] / [CONOP] Justinian II, crowned, bearded and wearing loros, standing facing, holding cross potent on three steps with his right hand and akakia in his left. DOC 7. MIB 8a-b. SB 1248. The usual areas of weakness, otherwise, virtually as struck.

Provenance from Leu Numismatik;

VI_1.jpg

VI_2.jpg

Curtisimo, tibor, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  18. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

Byzantine politics could be ruthless and bloody. The sentiment of PAX on the globus cruciger below was more of an ideal than an actuality during the eighth century. upload_2021-5-29_14-22-29.png
    Two solidi of Justinian II, his second reign 705-711 AD. The first shows the emperor in a loros. The second coin shows him and his son Tiberius wearing the chlamys. After Justinian was deposed for the second time (and executed) his wife fled with the six year old Tiberius to sanctuary in a church. However, the supporters of Philippicus dragged the child out of the church and slaughtered him, ending the line of the Heraclian dynasty. upload_2021-5-29_14-39-18.png
    Here is Philippicus. Beautiful coin, disastrous emperor. His reign lasted less than two years before he was deposed by his military officers, and blinded. He died shortly thereafter. This is the last time the scipio, the eagle-topped consular scepter, appears on Byzantine coins.

Curtisimo, tibor, Alegandron and 11 others like this.
  19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...gold.. wow....ole @panzerman's gonna like you...:D

+VGO.DVCKS and Hrefn like this.
  20. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Here is my Byzantine Solidus, minted in Constantinople.
    ByzantineGold.jpg Heraclius, with Heraclius Constantine.
    AD 613-641. Solidus. Constantinople Mint.
    20mm, 4.43g.
    Obv: dd NN hERACLIЧS ET hERA CONST PP AV, Crowned and draped bust of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine facing, with short beard, on the right. Cross above.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGU Θ /CONOB, Cross on base and three steps.

Curtisimo, tibor, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  21. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

To which, the ancient Egyptians reply: "Piffle!"

Draft saved Draft deleted