On November 11, I always go to Belgium

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Every year, with three numismatic friends we take the car for a lengthy ride to a small old town (with a large sugar factory, and a perennial traffic infarct) in the north of Belgium, it is called Tienen (or Tirlemont in French). In a large and sombre sports hall every November 11 a large coin fair is held. There are about 100-150 sellers - collectors with duplicates and coin sellers from Belgium, France, Britain, Netherlands, Hungary and (that's it I think). They all seemed to be having a few beers for breakfast. :spitoutdummy:

One of the nice things of Belgian coin fairs is the large number of Celtic coins you can find. In the past I had a lot of luck with that, but now I tried to be careful with money. In the end I bought a tiny Artabanus II chalkous, and four Roman coins.
    I was most happy with these two antoniniani of the emperor Probus (they cost about 80 dollars together). Interesting coinage with a lot of variation, but I never did do much about him. These are my third and fourth Probi. According to the seller, these were part of a hoard of Probus antoniani found near Lyons in France. The seller had about 40 of them, all in the same dark silver-grey hue, very attractive. I sought out these two because of their very different portrait style, and one has an equestrian portrait, that I find very attractive. Picturing them is rather difficult, I didn't get the photos right with my iphone.

In fact all the details are clear, they are EF in reality. But here are the pics.

2567 Probus ct.jpg

Probus 276-282, Antoninianus, Rome mint, 279. Obv. Radiate and cuirassed bust right, tiny Medusa medal on breast. IMP PROB/ VS P F AVG. Rev. Probus on horseback left, holding sceptre, right hand raised; captive under the horse’s right leg. ADVEN/ TVS AVG. Exergue: R(thunderbolt)Z (= 7). EF, traces of silvering. 21 mm, 3.87 gr. Apparently from a large hoard from Lyons. RIC V 155. Probus site head type F.

2568 Probus ct.jpg

Probus 276-282, Antoninianus, Lyons mint, 279. Obv. Radiate and cuirassed bust right. IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG. Rev. Laetitia standing slightly to the left, holding wreath and sceptre. LAETITIA AVGVSTI. In exergue: IIII. EF, traces of silvering. 21 mm, 4.08 gr. Apparently from a large hoard from Lyons. RIC V-2 31.

What does that mean, by the way, Laetitia Augusti: the mirth, the gaiety of the emperor? Probably there was something religious involved. Can't have been the smile on the face of the emperor Probus that was the subject of this coin's reverse.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

He usually has good quality coins. Nice additions.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice acquisitions.

Speaking of November 11 and Belgium...

IMG_0251.jpeg IMG_0286.jpeg IMG_0310.jpeg IMG_0315.jpeg IMG_0357.jpeg

Multatuli, Topcat7, galba68 and 10 others like this.
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Yes, the same day. It's a holiday in Belgium, therefore the coin fair is always on that day. When I was home again, I saw some very moving programs about the Great War, I couldn't keep my eyes dry.

7. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

These medals were presented to my (great) "Uncle Fred" for his service in 'W.W.1.', (although they could have been presented to any of the millions of service personnel involved).
    Magical Snap - 2018.11.15 01.53 - 001.jpg
    The (chrome over) brass box was "The Christmas Box" which was sent to all of the troops for Christmas 1914 by Princess Mary.
    Magical Snap - 2018.11.15 01.57 - 002.jpg
    "Lest We Forget"

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

My Grandfather was wounded in Ypres Belgium in 1914 some 6 weeks after arriving at the front, he was brought home, but most of his regiment was wiped out in the following 4 years.

His medals were later destroyed by an incendary bomb dropped on his home by the Luftwaffe in WWII

Here he is aged 18 just before he went.
    He lived to be 94.

img859.jpg

Multatuli, Meander, Carthago and 7 others like this.
  9. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Nice pickups @Pellinore I have developed an obsession for the coins of Probus. There’s so much variety of busts and reverse types to keep me busy. I’m jealous you were able to look through part of that hoard.

Here’s one I obtained from the last Frank Robinson auction.
    1966B7B6-8266-47DB-831B-DF3E73FA65F4.jpeg
    Probus
    22mm 3.35g
    IMP PROBVS AVG/
    ROMAE AETER
    RIC 185

Multatuli, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted