On dollar bill serial number and face plate number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Spiritawahili, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

First question asked and answered. No I do not have a phone that will take a clear enough picture for you to see and so i will describe it in depth.
    At the moment, money is going out so quick and kind of slow coming in and a new phone is on the horizon but not in my pocket just yet.
    This is a simple one. On the right side of a $1 bill is the serial number and a face plate number. When you have 2 bills that are in sequence with the serial numbers... Example,
    1st bill...C 03247304 E
    2nd bill... C 03247305 E
    Are the face plate numbers also supposed to be in consecutive order.?
    Thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

No. The presses use several plates in rotation, so if you get a whole stack of sequential serial numbers, you'll see three or four different plate numbers cycling through the pile.

JPD3 likes this.
  4. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Alright great. I appreciate it

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

With the phone, try this. Keep the phone steady and not too close, some people recommend placing the phone on a water glass placed mouth down with the phone lens over the edge of the glass. Place the coin/bill/etc. on the table so the phone focuses on it and is motionless. Take the pic. Get PhotoScape (a free app) to help with cropping, etc. Happy clicking.

6. Matthew howell

Matthew howell New Member

Thanks. I had the same question as the OP, and been looking all night for the answer. So thanks for confirming.
    I've got one more question just to make sure I get it and id appreciate it if you'd help me out. Anyway. Having consecutive serial numbers on a couple of dollar bills can have the same sheet location but be printed by a different plate? Is it because of a difference between repeats per cylinder rotation and the amount of repeats per sheet. Like 3 rotating plates per lane but 7 have to fill a sheet. Also, wouldn't that mean that the face plate number (A44 in my case) is printed separate than the sheet location identifier (A5 in my case)?
    And one question off the specific point in this post. Have you ever heard of a repeat length error? I have these 2 one dollar bills made back to back that are also 3/32 too long. E34140003A and E34140004A. I different face plate numbers, but I noticed the length and the 0003 and 0004 and thought maybe they were at the top of a stack and bowed up or something when the guillotine went to cut it.

7. cashhound

cashhound Well-Known Member

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

In collecting or at least interested in, paper currency, I've found this to be helpful for those just starting out. Hope it helps.
    one-dollar.jpg

IrishLuck and JPD3 like this.
  9. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The plates are the same size as the sheets--these days, that's either 32 subjects (4 across and 8 down) or 50 subjects (5 across and 10 down) depending on denomination. Consecutive serial numbers come from the same position of different sheets, because the serial numbers are arranged in such a way that a stack of 100 freshly numbered sheets can be whacked with a guillotine cutter to produce stacks of 100 notes already in serial order.

Both the face plate number and the position identifier are engraved in the plate, so they're printed at the same time. Since the press uses several plates in rotation, consecutive sheets will have different plate numbers. Exceptions can occur when a few defective sheets fail inspection before serial numbering, causing a couple of sheets with the same plate number to happen to end up next to each other in the finished stack.

One does occasionally see very small size differences between new notes, but generally this results from a full pack of 100 notes being cut slightly long/short. Likewise, occasionally the vertical cuts aren't *quite* perpendicular to the horizontal cuts, leaving the margins slightly skewed; but again, a quirk like that affects the entire pack of 100 notes since they're all cut together.

NOS likes this.
  10. Pennybaby75

Pennybaby75 Active Member

Hello,
    what are the chances all 3 plate numbers on a dollar bill being the same number?
    Front letter/number, front plate serial number, and back plate serial number.

Is there a market?

Thanks in advance for your help

Attached Files:

11. Coy

Coy New Member

IMG_20221230_214804.jpg
    IMG_20221230_214817.jpg

Pennybaby75 likes this.
  12. Coy

Coy New Member

this is absolutely crazy I come across this I have been searching the web for approximately an hour and a half and the only thing I can keep finding is the same plate numbers on the front and back, you're the first person I have found that said what are the chances of all three as in the position number and the plate numbers.

I would love to hear back from you if you ever heard anything regarding this because this will blow your mind on why I'm interested I will upload a picture.

Pennybaby75 likes this.
  13. Pennybaby75

Pennybaby75 Active Member

Hi and happy New year.. no found nothing in my search so I placed them in my collection book.. I love looking for the odd stuff. I have found 2 more since then

Draft saved Draft deleted