On a quest to find Circulated Post 2009 DPRK Won ₩

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Kover, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Kover

Kover New Member

north-korea-new-won-dec-2009.JPG koreCS9.jpg north-korea-new-won-dec-2009.JPG koreCS9.jpg Hello, (First things first this is not a political post, I'm asking for help.) I'm a Collector of many strange forms of currency. Currently I'm looking to find something ebay doesn't possess. I've looked and looked but i can not find any post 2009 Democratic peoples republic of Korea Bank notes. I know their are special notes with all zeros for the serial number, for collection purposes, mostly 2017 Specialty Notes But i am searching for Notes created for actual use in the DPRK. I have plenty of 1990's to 2007 ₩ but that's only because they are no longer usable in the country. Ill add some examples in the attached*

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Mike Pompeo, is that YOU?

Jaelus likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

It might be difficult as eBay tends to automatically take down any listings that mention North Korea (and Cuba). Some people will list these items and simply call them Korean (without the North in the title). At some point you might get lucky and see something that fits your collection listed. Otherwise I’m not sure how else to find these. Maybe other members will comment later.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

These things called "sanctions" are a very real thing, and not something to be messed with. Tread carefully, sir. I'd hate for you to have legal trouble over this.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

It’s been like this on eBay since I started using it...but sure I’ll tread carefully. :)

7. Kover

Kover New Member

I honestly could care less if the Bourgeois Govt. gets its panties in a bunch over a collection of Currency.
    I Have Coins, and plenty of Notes, and a few other goodies from the DPRK and if the Govt. decides to take it from me, ill make a massive deal over it. Simple as that.

NOS likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Good luck to you. You’ll need it. One can go to jail for even POSSESSING a modern Cuban cigar, for example. Possessing some things can be a Federal crime. And let’s leave Victor Borga out of this.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  9. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

You can buy Cuban cigars legally from other countries. Just can't sell them in the US.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Can’t bring them in either. “Trading With the Enemy Act”.

11. Kover

Kover New Member

I'm Sure it would be a massive waist of time for the federal government to raid a home, for a few Won, would they even start a investigation? who would let them know..

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I bought type sets of these kinds of notes on eBay on auctions that quite clearly and openly listed them as being from DPRK/North Korea. This was back in 2006 or 2007 and no one seemed to care back then. I really thought nothing of there being restrictions on buying them at the time, or even up until 15 minutes ago until I read this thread. From what I understood, it was common for Chinese visitors to bring uncirculated notes back in quantity from over the border and sell them from their homeland.

I don't know why some on here are getting all crazy about one's desire to buy circulated notes from the DPRK. After all, American passport holders were openly and freely allowed to visit there up until September of last year. Anyway, I believe the easiest way to procure such circulated notes would be to get them from someone who goes there and brings some back for you. This could include a friend, relative, fellow collector or world traveler that you know.

However, with the minimal amount of tourists who actually go there and with the aforementioned travel ban on Americans effective from last year, this may prove easier said than done.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Kover and ddddd like this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

Check with Dennis Rodman.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Or even a waste of it, depending on your primary language.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sorry @Kover but it doesn’t seem like this thread is going in the direction you intended. Some items are just difficult to attain (even if they are inexpensive). You’ll just have to keep searching and hope your items are eventually available at some venue. Best of luck!

16. V. Kurt Bellman

I did see DPRK postage stamps at a New York stamp show, but I have no idea of what era they were from. Nice art though.

17. Kover

Kover New Member

I'm sorry .not from America. -

18. Kover

Kover New Member

Its massive shame too hear, I wish EBay would ease up on their rules. You can buy Fascist German currency, somtimes pins and such. But no no, korean money is so evil its even worse!! My grandfather fought in Great Patriotic war for the freedom of my country against true enemy, not some third world country in Asia that just wants to be left alone from the west. I wish I could tell them this, but even if I do they (ebay) do not care they only care its too much work for them to change rules!

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

It's not an "ebay" rule. It is compliance with law. At least it's good to see that you didn't want the thread to be political. :banghead:

20. V. Kurt Bellman

He’s right about one thing, though. In many nations, my German Third Reich coins are illegal to own.

Kover likes this.
  21. Kover

Kover New Member

I assume Ebay goes by United states Law? What about United Kingdom or Canada?

Draft saved Draft deleted