OMG "5 IN CHEEK DIME" 1966!!!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dealtwith, Jun 15, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Either way, our OP does NOT have one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well he can, for the every day low price if $2499.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Um, isn't that kind of the premise of this entire site? :angelic:

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Jeff! You should see how Peter, Doug , and the moderators dress! Money ?? Bahh, its the joy of the company.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. -jeffB

Sorry, I was confusing "coins" and "money" again. :rolleyes:

7. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Im a newer to coins and collecting but to me, I have to admit that this entire situation adds to the "art" of it all. Its not so cut and dry. There without question is an art factor to this and opinions, experience and viewpoints can change history. A common dime from decades ago is now suddenly going to become a variety? I think thats awesome. To think that a coin that passed through so many peoples hands still has the potential to have something "unique" (I dont like the word error in this sentence) about it. It makes for a more alive and dynamic environment. To me it makes it more fun that there is still room to "change the book" and the hobby isnt just written in stone unable to be creative and new....even with old coins lol. Its alot like medicine which is my arena. New things are discovered all the time and in alot of cases, there are leaders in the field that do not want to accept the change or new discovery. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I dont. It would be a sad world with alot less healthy eyes if there werent at least some humility and open minded thought. I wont bore you with the history of it but it wasnt too long ago that there were new layers of the cornea discovered which should sound odd considering how advanced science and medicine has come. Thank God it was because its led to incredible new treatments. Maybe the recognition of a variety as unusual, unthinkable and quite frankly "debatable" that it is, may lead to other great things.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm not questioning you or anyone else that claims to see something on a coin that may be an error coin. The only way to satisfy your curiosity is to send it in to PCGS or NGC. If it comes back as the error you see then you can post it and show us all up!

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm glad I was out of the office
    last week at the Long Beach Expo, and missed
    all of this.

The ANACS coin has a Lint mark on the die; that's
    why there's more than 1 of them. It is NOT a 5
    (don't care what it looks like, it's not a numeral),
    but a piece of lint, on the die, that looks like a digit.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for explaining this.

The OP can resume his hunt for 1992 Lincolns that were overstruck in 1994.

Nathan401 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

So do a lot of Chinese counterfeit sellers.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I think he left.. Hasn't posted anything in a couple of days.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

14. sjg1916

sjg1916 New Member

What if you had one, you wouldn’t want to sell it. I have one and I can see more than a 5 View attachment 851113

15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You don’t, and you can’t. I’m sorry.

paddyman98 and Stevearino like this.
  16. sjg1916

sjg1916 New Member

Coin opp recognized it, I guess I’m ⛷
    Very well said sir,, Bravo

17. -jeffB

We can't see your attachment.

I also can't understand your comments. "Coin opp"? "⛷"?

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You ARE NOT seeing more than a "5". Please go back and read post #88. You will not get a more respected opinion on error coins in all of numismatics. If you have one, you're seeing a lint mark. That's it.

19. sjg1916

sjg1916 New Member

We’ll sir, apparently this subject rubs you the wrong way, my apologies, but I do have one, and it was the first and only sms set I’ve ever purchased I made the day after leaving the hospital from cancer surgery,,, for as it is my birth year! Coin Opp is a channel on YouTube, Dustin posted a segment that made me a believer. I should read post 88, but if it make you feel the way you do about it, I’ll pass on the angry, thank you very much. I see what is there, and it IS a 5, go check Dustin’s theory

20. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

21. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

That explains a lot. Stick around coin talk and you can learn a lot about the minting and die making process. I believe Wexler's Doubled die web site has a very good explanation. Do some research and then revisit some of the wild claims on YouTube

BTW don't discount the comments of the CT member who responded in post #88 in this thread. One of the valuable benefits of Coin Talk is learning from experts recognized by the numismatic
    community, not some self proclaimed YouTube "expert". Just sayin'

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted