OMG "5 IN CHEEK DIME" 1966!!!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dealtwith, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

That coin with that price tag on ebay is quickly making that variety known to everyone. There is talk of it becoming a C.P.G variety. Until then this is putting the coin in the public eye. He doesn't want to sell it. He is trying to make it known. Say what you will but, now you and many others have a cool new variety to search.

4. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

OP, can you get a more zoomed pic? The light is playing off that 5 and it almost looks more like a recessed area and not raised. If the Edited: language on ebay gets a couple grand, you got yourself a months worth of rent there. His whole page there on ebay is weird..."I am Dime master. I and only I have 6 of these magical dimes. Put all 6 together in your pocket and a worm hole will open taking you to the land of Roosevelt where I am ruler of all small old defective round objects in your pants"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

It looks like the "5" from that 5 gum. The whole thing doesnt seem right. Too many of the experienced guys here can't explain it. It will be fun to see how it shakes out. Maybe I can create a coin and play it on ebay. Hes marketing it.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I wonder if I should start selling "New Coin Variety Production Kits" on eBay -- a couple of dental probes, a small hammer, and a half-round file. "Tired of searching your change with a microscope, looking for the latest random ding or gouge featured on YouTube? Now you can MAKE YOUR OWN VARIETY! Strike it Rich!"

TheFinn and Dynoking like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

So how many have been verified by anyone of experience and reputation ?

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

There’s also a YouTube video and an Internet article about this coin. The source for the Internet article is the YouTube video.

10. Santinidollar

11. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

What Dave363 said...
    S20180409_0001.jpg <- please don't argue Bud said

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They don't need to make up and create new errors.
    If this is a real thing, OK. But so what? An image of a 5 on the
    cheek of an SMS 1966 Rosie? I'd pay a dollar at most.

13. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Wexler attributed it as a variety. Anacs has certified at least 3

14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Then Wexler has officially lost his stinkin’ mind. I already thought he was flirting with it. This is over the edge.

TheFinn, Dynoking and Blissskr like this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I typed up a reply and erased it at least twice, but you've captured the main point.

Speaking strictly hypothetically, what are collectors supposed to do if The Final Authority in a particular subspecialty starts to show signs of losing it?

(I do mean "hypothetically" -- this isn't the first time I've gotten the impression that the line between variety attribution and pareidolia is flat-out non-existent, but it's not for me to decide. If there are multiple coins with the same feature, no matter how random or trivial, I guess it's fair game to attribute it.)

Blissskr likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

Can you show us one of the slabs?

Stevearino likes this.
  17. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Guess it's not that much different than the 1952 'super bird' proof Washington quarter if multiple coins have been found. But I'd still like to see proof of additional coins and slabbed ones recognizing it as a variety. And while it's a neat curiosity I think if someone pays anywhere near that asking price they'll live to regret it. But I think the same way for most things that get labeled as errors or varieties these days where you need an electron microscope just to see what the error is and don't understand the excitement but to each their own I guess.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, I don’t consider Wexler much of an authority. AFAIK, neither PCGS nor NGC does Wexler attributions. Show me a Fivaz-Stanton number. PCGS regularly delists even some F-V numbers. So much of this variety garbage is bogus.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  19. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Yet he has 100% positive feedback. Go figure!

20. V. Kurt Bellman

What percentage of 1966 SMS dimes have even been checked for this “5-shaped piece of debris”? About one tenth of one percent? I bet that’s a very high estimate. This is an example of ONE PERSON trying to force feed a market for a coin that only he owns, except for maybe 1 or 2, for which he has deemed HIMSELF the atrributor. It’s a complete scam. Read the detailed item description on the eBay listing. He’s LOBBYING!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Santinidollar likes this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Follow the money!

Draft saved Draft deleted