OMG "5 IN CHEEK DIME" 1966!!!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dealtwith, Jun 15, 2018.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wow, someone scrubbed the heck out of those fields, carefully avoiding most of the devices. A shame, really. I feel bad for you, though, so I'd still give full melt. ;)

jtlee321 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

We are all here to help, and when you come to us looking for help and refuse to accept it. Some of us get a bit cranky about it. Not because we don't like you, but because we have been doing this for years and we understand the minting process and what is possible and not possible. We also understand what can cause some of the things that people see in their coins.

Some of the causes of what you see in your dime are a strike through or clash. One thing it is not is the number 5. You have to stop and think about what could possibly cause what you see. Once you learn how coins are made, you will start to understand what is possible and what is not.

4. Dealtwith

Dealtwith Member

No it when a smart ass thinks they came out the womb with coin knowledge.. We all start somewhere

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

So, it's still pretty obvious that you think it is a 5.
    Some of the folks here have been collecting longer than you are old. Why Argue your position if you are a noob?

6. -jeffB

Yes, but it's important to head in the right direction.

You're in a town you've never visited. You're lost. You stop and ask an old, grizzled guy sitting on the porch for directions to Big City. He tells you that you're heading the wrong way, and you need to turn around, then take a left. Do you:

a) Turn around and then take a left
    b) Tell him you're pretty sure you're heading the right way, and a guy back in Noperville told you this was the best route

You choose (b). He replies, "Oh, yeah, we get people coming through from Noperville all the time, you asked that guy at the Quick-Mart, didn't you? He doesn't even drive. Look, see the sign back there that says Big City, Left, 30 miles? Here, let me show you on this map, you're here, Big City is back there." Do you:

a) Thank him, turn around and then take the left
    b) Point out that he's rude and probably blind, and keep going

Let's just say that I hope you've got plenty of gas...

7. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Humility...the lost trait. Dont ever get offended by anything in life especially anything on the internet. This site is a wealth of knowledge and you have to kind of understand something very fundamental if you are going to be a guest in my opinion. It seems like there are a few guys here that make their living from this. This is their playground so dont mess with it. The rest of us here could study the art of this for the next decade full time and still not have an understanding or respect for the craft like they do. We are all professionals in one field or another and these guys chose this. This is a "hobby" for the vast majority here so enjoy it as such. Allowing yourself to get butthurt kind of defeats the whole idea of "enjoy". I post alot of stuff that gets ripped. So what. Most the time I deserve it after I read what garbage I posted up. Just dont take things personal. This site would suck soooo hard if the elders here just agreed to every coin picture posted stating "yes, thats it". In fact, the site would fail like the others around the net really quickly. think about what you do for a living. I work in Ophthalmology specifically in ocular surface disease and the inflammatory biomarkers Matrix metalloproteinases. If for some nerd reason there was a website or forum that was centered around this, I would be the same way making sure to correct mis information without any concern of offending. You would do the same thing....hopefully.

8. Jennmax

Jennmax New Member

Well damn!... Guess I'll just gather up my pareidolia coins and go buy a loaf of bread and a toaster.

9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

My eyesight isn't the greatest, but I see a straight-up '4' inside the drawn diamond :pompous:

10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I'm sorry - that IS a 5 (& a 9 as well) :cyclops:

zones-pimple-placement.jpg

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

[​IMG]

Look! Pie (pi?) in face. I see 3.14159265.....

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Friend... Look.... Coin knowledge is so much more than error varieties. In fact, in my almost fifty years of collecting I have never had the slightest iota of interest in errors. This explosion of interest in mint errors is all due to the inaccurate information available on the web. It's disheartening to see so many potential young collectors being drawn into this net hook, line and sinker. Constantly having to dash the "get rich quick" hopes of all those posting their pocket change here on CT..... Yes, learn and enjoy the hobby. But don't be fooled into believing so many coins are errors that will make you wealthy.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

This explosion of interest in mint errors is all due to the inaccurate information available on the web.

This explosion of interest in mint errors is all due to the inaccurate information available on the web.

It bears repeating.

Kim Greenwood and Stevearino like this.
  14. -jeffB

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I second that....

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

So the brown ones are ready for the snap, but the black ones are looking to the sideline yelling, "Hey, how about a couple of tackles out here?" Ahh, OTA's at Chicago.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

no no no no no...bears repeating, not repeating bears...

JCro57 and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  18. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

This variety does exist. Anacs recognizes them. They are sms coins. Your coin is not sms. At least 8 have been found. I saw 3 last nite graded and attributed by anacs

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    SlipperySocks likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

21. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Thank you for saying that. I was so disgusted that I couldn’t even comment when I viewed that.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted