Omega Counterfeit $10 Indian ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gallienus, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK now we are getting some separation of different types. Counterfeits made to defraud collectors, bad, contemporary counterfeits made to defraud merchants and average citizens, maybe good?

Mainebill and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

When I was a very young collector a coin dealer sent me a contemporary counterfeit Bust Half as a genuine coin from an ad probably run in Coin World or similar. I recall a latter date like 1836. The piece appeared to be struck in nearly pure copper which was a giveaway even to me that something wasn't quite right. I returned it for a refund.

As far as to collecting these nowadays, I'd think a copper contemporary counterfeit Bust half would be an interesting item. Only the very inexperienced could mistake this for genuine...

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

My black cabinet is lacking an Omega specimen. Collecting counterfeits like Omega and Henning and those that are contemporary, are just as important as any other coin in this hobby. Collecting coins is about history and I believe these pieces are just as important to numismatic history as anything.

They serve as educational tools and as reminders that people can be fooled. Erasing these from our numismatic history would be just as detrimental to the hobby as erasing the Holocaust from world history. Ok, bad metaphor, but still counterfeits whether contemporary or modern will always have to have a place in this hobby. Doesnt matter if you like it or not.

I don't think Henning or Omega are gaining anything from their pieces being bought and sold, just saying.

2018-05-22-21-59-47.jpg
    2018-05-22-22-00-40.jpg

Seems like these dollars had people fooled for a long time. What are we supposed to do? Destroy them now because they are fakes?

As for the OP coin or piece, I'm not sure it's an Omega piece but could that line on the rim be from a damaged collar die?

Mainebill likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not sure what line on the rim you are talking about but if you mean that vertical line on the edge, that is the joint between two pieces of the segmented collar.

6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Oops yes. I meant edge. And yes that makes sense.

7. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I think they're collectible as counterfeits, and the main difference between adding one to your collection and adding a placeholder marked "copy" is the size of the "copy" notification.

When these were sold by the counterfeiter to deceive, that was a criminal act. Yet, there is something piratical and charming about the Omega pieces, which often have more clarity and fineness of strike than the real mint issues did for those years. Collecting them is a bit like collecting North Korean forged "superbills" or buying a 20th century Rembrandt with "painted by John Myatt" painted under it in lead paint.

As long as the buyer knows what they're getting, I don't see this as harmful to the hobby.

On a related note - did anyone ever come forward as the Omega forger?

jwitten likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Did Mr. Omega counterfeit HR Saints or ULTRA HR Saints ? I presume the former, too few of the latter for him to sneak any past collectors.

What does a HR Saint Omega cost -- $30,000 ?

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I left the ANA link above as it had an article on the Omega double eagle, the link don't show it anymore. Can't find it right now but an Omega gold coin is not just a counterfeit coin from China and shouldn't be looked at as such! :D It's a much sought after coin just as a Machin's Mills is, nothing you can do about it. :D I agree with the above, besides the Omega man is still unknown, that adds to the mystique, there's also a fake $3 coin I just learned about!! ;)

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/counterfeit-coin-detection-1882-3-us-gold-coin/

https://www.greatamericancoincompany.com/a/info/blog/notorious-counterfeiters-the-omega-man-mystery

https://www.altereddimensions.net/2012/omega-man-counterfeiter

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Gallienus likes this.
  10. GoldFinger1969

Omega Dude is probably dead.

11. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I know on the 20 dollar double eagles his Omegaman signature is located on the reverse in the eagles feathers somewhere. Did you look on the reverse of this eagles feathers for his mintmark? ( so called )

Gallienus likes this.
  12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

It is in the claws on the $20 HR... look at the pictures I posted

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I read the articles posted. If the Omega fakes are "indistinguishable" from the real thing, except for the Omega symbol, how do they know they aren't real, and he just counter stamped his coins?
    Also: Counterfeit coins are both legal and collectible as long as they’re not misrepresented or used as money. In fact, collecting counterfeits is a pastime of its own.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

How do we know for a fact that he didn't take authentic coins and make subtle changes and put his Omega signature on them ?

Guy could be laughing all the way to the bank...er grave....:D

15. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

When are people going to start making counterfeits of the omega counterfeits?

16. GoldFinger1969

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  17. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

ok I saw that.. I remember about 20-22 years ago History Channel did a thing on the omega counterfeiter and they showed one of his insignias in the feathers on one of the coins.

18. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Sorry for the late reply. Actually no I didn't look at any other places. My understanding is the Omega sign can be so small and the imagination so vast that it'd be really hard to find unless one knew where to look. I think it's still around as the Coronavirus struck before I could get it back to the SD box. I'll look at the Omega on the $20's here and try to find the same thing on my $10.

Draft saved Draft deleted