Oldish coin in a different language that I have some questions about.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Matthew G., Jul 24, 2018.

1. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

image.jpg I got this coin also in a foreign coin bag and I have some questions about it.
    1. How much is it worth?
    2. Is it silver?
    3. What’s the date?
    4. Where is it from?
    5. What is the face value from where ever it’s from?
    If anyone could help me that would be great. image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Thailand baht, not silver.

Kentucky and Matthew G. like this.
  4. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Matthew, I see you're 13. Welcome to CT and welcome to the time-honored hobby of coin collecting.

I know everyone here is happy to help identify your coins, but you might have more fun and gain more knowledge by first searching for the answers on your own . . . the thrill of the hunt, and all that.

Numista is a great place to start. They have an exhaustive online catalog of world coins, with photos, info about size, composition, etc. and mintage numbers by year.

Only a suggestion, and please don't hesitate to ask us. Just thinking you might get more satisfaction from tracking them down on your own. Identifying an obscure world coin can be a real adventure.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You need to know the answers to questions 4,5,3, and 2 before you can answer question 1.

If all you are interested in is the answer to question 1 then this hobby may not be for you.

Clawcoins likes this.
  7. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

@Matthew G.

If you would like you can have one of your parents contact me (in the private message system) and if they are okay with it, I can mail you an older version of one of the Krause catalogs.

It's a boring old book, but sometimes it's easier to identify or narrow things down if you have pages to flip.

There are also a few pages where repeated themes for particular countries are pictured which can also help narrow down where to hunt for the coin.

Stork aka Cathy

8. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

If all you are interested in is the answer to question 1 then this hobby may not be for you.

I am not very interested in the answer to question 1 but I was just curious because someone told me the value of another coin and I was just curious.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Matthew, I'd highly recommend you take Stork up on his offer. If you are interested in World Coins, Krause is the standard catalogue. It will give you the resources you need to identify these coins - and instead of asking us for help, as you learn more, you can transition to helping others and sharing your knowledge. The book Stork offers is a really, really good resource.

10. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

I did reach out and I’m just waiting for a reply.

11. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Very common coin. I bought mine for 50 cents.
    3.jpg 4.jpg

12. Stork

I sent an email to your dad just now if you want to let him know to keep an eye open for it. Once he gives the greenlight I can get it to the post office. Media mail is slow but cheap.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Stork

I was going to send the 2006 edition, which is the last year they lumped the 1900-2000s together. After that it's 1901-2000, then 2000-date in two (very large) books.

It seems I must have 'disposed' of it already though when I recently organized, so I found a copy of the 2006 on Amazon. It should arrive to the address your dad sent in 7-14 days...and pretty much for the cost of shipping a book from my house to yours!

Exactly like the one I had but probably in better shape, and cheaper to boot. Sometimes Amazon boggles my mind.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure you flip through the introductory pages and find the ones that give you a theme identifier--types of things found typically on a given country's coins. There are also listings for mint marks, dates, and many other very good things. Easy to overlook some very useful information if those pages are skipped.

2. Also, each country is preceded by a brief introduction to it's history, which is important to read.

3. The other thing to keep in mind is that Krause is NOT infallible. There are mistakes, and the values listed can be very high or very low, or not take varieties into consideration. It's a wonderful starting point, but use your head.

4. If you decide you want more than the time frame covered then you can buy the old versions very cheaply (like under $10 with shipping on Amazon if you look for 2006 editions, or even some later ones).

That said, you can also stick with online sources instead but, sometimes, the paper books are very useful if you aren't exactly sure what something is ahead of time.

I hope you enjoy it, and if not, it's huge. The book can be used as a fabulous doorstop.

Maxfli likes this.
  14. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

Thank you. That last comment saying it could be a doorstop made me and my friend laugh. Thank you so much.

15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Stork for the win!

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The book is 2000 pages long. If you don't use it as a doorstop, you could use it as a weight for curling. Get nice and buff for the ladies!

Draft saved Draft deleted