Oldest coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by benplace, Jul 12, 2011.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

My earliest dated British coin is a gold 22/- of Queen Mary of Scotland that is dated 1553. Indeed, dates on British coins were sporadic until 1662 when the last of the hammered coins were minted and the Royal Mint began minting all coins using machinery. I have several other later Scots and English coins that are known to have been minted in only a particular year - but they don't have dates. I believe putting a year on a coin was really not recognised as being very significant then.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johnsl

Johnsl New Member

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Here is a 1555 french coin, a teston minted for king Henri II

0020-Henri_II_Teston.jpg
    Henri II (1547-1559) - Teston 1555 M
    Atelier de Toulouse (M)
    . HENRICVS II . D . G . FRANCO . REX, buste cuirassé a droite
    XPS . VINCIT . XPS . REGNAT . XPS . IMPER coeur sur croissant, ecu de France couronné accosté de deux H couronnés. M a la pointe de l'ecu
    9.49 gr
    Ref : Ciani # 1271v

Q

Siberian Man likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Aye, you got me there! I must hae forgotten about them because they were debased coppernosers. :eek: Those narsty vermin were later tariffed at something like a threenub or there abouts.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

7. shane.mason

shane.mason Edward VI 1551 Crown

I own a 1551 Edward the VI crown in fairly good condition. My favourite coin by far, glorious piece of craftmenship and artwork. Its the coin that makes me smile whenever I look at it :)

8. SwK

SwK Junior Member

1513 The Earliest Dated English Coin

An important rarity of the English series with three only known, this specimen the only piece available to the collector.

RP & GC see www.petitioncrown.com

The earliest dated coin in the name of an English monarch is the Tournai gros or groat struck by Henry VIII subsequent to his capture of the town in September 1513. Snelling[SUP]1[/SUP] gives the date as the 21[SUP]st [/SUP], Ruding[SUP]2[/SUP] the 23[SUP]rd[/SUP]. Tournai is a small town in present day Belgium, but was in French hands in the early part of the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] century. It remained under English control until October 1518 when an Anglo-French treaty provided for the return of Tournai to France on the payment of 400000 crowns[SUP]1[/SUP] , though www.tudors.org quotes the sum as 600000 crowns.

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Sweden.
    2 ore with the date "73". That means "1573".

Attached Files:

• 139.jpg
      139.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
  10. areich

areich America*s Darling

11. areich

areich America*s Darling

12. areich

areich America*s Darling

[TABLE="width: 1024"]

[SIZE=-1]Castan
    Cayon
    550[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Spain (Toledo)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1166[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Obol[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]+ERA MCCIIII
    (This is the Spanish Es-Safar date, 1204, corresponding to AD 1166)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]+TOLETVM[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]New 1[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Denmark (Roskilde)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1234[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Denier[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]+ANNO:DOMINI
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]+:M:CC:XXX:IIII:[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]The 1234 Roskilde Denier (pfennig, penning, etc) holds the title of earliest coin with an Anno Domini date. Its story is quite remarkable and will be added soon. So far seven have been found, and the coin was known as an oddity even back in the early 1800s when Joseph Mader first mentioned it in his large work on medieval coinage. It is also curious for having no mention of its place of origin, the mintmaster, or ruler on the coin itself.[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]The only example of this magnificent coin known in private hands was finally put up for public sale by Danish auction house Bruun Rasmussen in November 2008 but did not sell at its opening estimate of €33,500. Still it is exciting to see the piece on display! Click here for a larger image of this coin.[/SIZE]

[/TABLE]

13. goldducat

goldducat Active Member

The first European coin with Arabic numerals specifying the date of striking was the Swiss silver Plappart from the year 1424. You may see coin here: http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotvi...0&Lot=47&Val=bfcdfdd55be474731e7bf843bb108222 In description of this coin you may read about it "The oldest coin in Switzerland, with date and the first coin in Europe with Arabic numerals.". Here you got also list of other first coins, ie. 1234 Denmark, mentioned here before. This is list of the earliest dated coins of various European countries and regions:
    1234 Denmark (Roskilde)
    1372 Belgium (Schoonvorst)
    1372 German States (Aachen)
    1424 Switzerland (This is the first coin known to date fully with Arabic numerals)
    1437 Netherland (Gröningen)
    1456 Austria (Graz and Wiener Neustadt)
    1459 Balkan States
    1478 Sweden
    1480 Italy (Forli)
    1491 France (Lorraine)
    1499 Hungary
    1504 Poland (Glogau)
    1506 Lithuania
    1525 Bohemia
    1548 England Shilling of Edward VI (MDXLVIII)

Most of them you will find in "The Early Dated Coins of Europe, 1234-1500" written by Robert A. Levinson. Silver plappart with year 1424 is listed there as V-1 (page 189).

14. areich

areich America*s Darling

That is terrific. Where did you get that information?

Amanda

15. areich

areich America*s Darling

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Old Dated Coins

Not too rare, got this one shipped from Hungary for $8.00
    1546 Back.jpg 1546 Front.jpg

17. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

18. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I have a piece from Aachen, Germany dated 1374.

19. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Margravity (county) of Meissen (Germany).
    Grote. The secon quarter of the XV century.

Attached Files:

• 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      109.9 KB
      Views:
    • 48.jpg
      48.jpg
      File size:
      117.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I may have posted this one here before but here's my earliest AD dated piece. I had a very brief affair with old world thalers before settling down into my specialities. Unfortunately I missed the 1484 half-guildiner when it appeared on a fixed price list years ago.

This was bought ca. 1997 from Spinks, London.
    [​IMG]

There was a guy, Don Dool or something that used to write a series of articles on early dated coins for Coin World back around 2001 or so. I wish I had saved those articles...

21. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

That is a very nice Guildiner. A similar piece sold in CNG's Triton XVIII for
    $32500. I've been collecting pre 1500AD coins for several years. I don't
    have this coin yet. Don Dool used to write a column for World Coin News.
    The article pretained to early dated copper coins from around the world.
    He has quite a collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted