Oldest coin in your collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by tibor, Aug 18, 2019.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

All were hammered in those days.

TBH I am unable to identify the date on the dinar but ANACS has specific dates on all 6 dinars they graded for me. I am assuming it is somewhere in the text and probably stated as year of reign.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I have several older coins, but my oldest dated coin was produced in 356/5 BC. The upside-down crescent-shaped stroke above the reverse galley is the symbol for 10, which signifies the 10th regnal year of Abd'ashtart I.
    upload_2019-8-19_7-29-54.png
    Phoenicia, Sidon.
    Rev.: Galley to left on waves; date (curved hash-mark) above = 356/5 B.C.
    Obv.: Persian king or hero in kneeling-running stance, right, holding spear & bow.
    Weight: 3.32 gr. Diam. 14 mm.
    Attrib.: Hoover Vol. 10, Pg. 71, #251 (Year 10).

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  4. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me.....the Phoenician Tyre shekels too were dated. This one is 44BC Phoenicia Tyre Shekel 44BC Obv.jpg

Phoenicia Tyre Shekel 44BC Rev.jpg

philologus_1 likes this.
  5. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Yes, the designers/engravers of ancient Tyrian coinage utilized dating on several issues.

Here's another early dated coin only slightly less old than my Sidonian above. This little Tyrian silver obol was issued just a few years after Alexander the Great rolled through and began producing the nearly ubiquitous (in that day) Alexander/Zeus types. The date appears in Phoenician numerals, signifying 21, which dates it to 329/8 B.C., over 23 centuries ago! (See the red squares for date location.)
    upload_2019-8-19_8-38-23.png
    Sorry for the small, low quality images. BTW: The type is Price 3253.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted