Older star note values

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Lorenzo Pappaceno, Jun 3, 2021.

1. I have a 1981 50 star note serial J00777698, in uncirculated condition, but I can’t get a print number or value anywhere

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着 Supporter

The "Redbook of United States Paper Money" would have that information. I have the 6th edition, but a 7th one just came out. We would need to know the Federal Reserve Bank and whether it's a 1981 or a 1981-A.

The most valuable star notes of that year for a $50 are, according to the book: Chicago, New York, Cleveland and a few others. The most valuable seems to be a 1981-A from Richmond. General values for all issues that year range from $80 - $475.

NOS likes this.
  4. It is a 1981 not 81A

5. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着 Supporter

Underneath the serial number should be the Federal Reserve Bank code, something like "A1," "E5," or "J10."

6. cashhound

cashhound Active Member

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着 Supporter

That's a Kansas City 1981 starnote. The Redbook has this to say about it:

Quantity Printed: 128,000; Value in Unc-63: $250

Catalog No. F-2120J*

NOS likes this.
  8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A guide gets you into the ballpark. By checking past auction results, I would value an uncirculated 1981 $50 KC replacement note between $100 and $150, maybe more if graded.

9. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Doesn't look quite unc to me. Seeing a light crimp at the bottom center or it could be the pic.
    Anyway I'd say never expect book value. That's what a dealer will ask. Plus any denomination above a 20 is harder to sell. Just because face value is already 50 bucks.
    A nice looking note though.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted