Older Proof set preservation (1959)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FHDave, Jan 19, 2007.

1. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

Reading the current thread regarding older mint sets reminded me about a decision I have been putting off.

A couple of years ago, I purchased four 1959 proof mint sets in their original cellophane packaging. One of the sets has a slight tear in the packaging that has resulted in the dime starting to tone (luckily appears to be nice colored toning, not ugly brown :) ). While I'm probably going to get a holder (Capital?) for that proof set, I'm not sure whether I should keep the other three still in their packaging or not.

What are the group's recommendations on this topic?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Dave:
    First, I would use Capital holders, they are probably the best.
    Second, I don't think that I'd remove the other sets, try to see if there is any toning going on as they are.
    Attractive tone to the coins, esp the silver, would enhance the value, not decrease it.

4. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

I would advise u to keep all the coins in their original packaging. This way they retain more value.
    I personally think the capital plastic holders (some of them) make the coins look ugly.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

For whatever it is worth, original sets always sell for more than sets in aftermarket holders.

6. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I know that I would be willing to pay more for one in the cello than one in a holder. The holders do nothing for me personally. Even with the tear it would be more attractive to me and I would personally pay more for it than a set in the capital holder. The ones in the holders are fine for somebody who is going to break a set for albums though. But again, expect to get less $$ for sets like that.

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I have a 1954 and 1955 set in the original gray boxes.The '55 still had the coins in the original cellophane which had turned yellow and split open on one or more sides.I simply got some newer flips and placed the coins AND the cello into them.Everything else is original,including the tissue paper packing.I would never consider putting them in new holders.Just my opinion.

Attached Files:

8. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

Listening to the group, looks like I should be a little more open minded about toning. It has not been a preference of mine to date.

I don't have the original boxes, just the sets in the cellophane, so I'll have to think about what I want to do.

I'll definitely think a little more about what to do with the sets. Thanks for the comments.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sorry Mik, but you already have :mad:

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I have numerous Proof sets from as far back as the early 50's. None have toned to any degree at all. What I've done over the years is take a Proof or Uncirc set and put the entire thing in an addition freezer type plastic bag and squeeze out all the air. Then it is sealed with heat. I have some kind of electric heat thing that only warms plastic enough to melt pieces together. It came with a set for mending vinyls, plastics and things like auto seat covers. It never worked to well on that but does seal out any air from coin sets like the proofs. Another nice thing is the original plastic seal from the Mint stays intack. I also use that little heater it for plastic coating insurance cards, ID cards, etc. An iron for ironing may work but on the really lowest setting. Like I said been doing that for over 50 years and no problems yet.

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

LOL...I guess you're right but you know what I mean,no Capital holders.;)

12. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

Although I agree with everyone on the subject of lost value of proof/mint sets when they are removed from their packaging, I have found that with sets that the cello is old and degrading, it is almost impossible to determine what grade of coin is beneath the package.

When I first started collecting proof sets I swore I'd never break out a set and worked hard to put together brake outs in order to have sets for my displays. I have recently changed my attitude on this. I enjoy having original proof sets but I can't enjoy their beauty in this state.

I have decided that my coins are for ME. I don't buy to sell, I buy to enjoy seeing them in their natural state. I'm not syaing that this is what should be done it's just what I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted