Older PCGS/NGC Slab's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Noah Finney, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Hi Coin talk,
    I had a thought run through my mind today! I have a few older and newer PCGS and NGC slabs. PCGS is really good at how the grade coins now, and so it NGC. PCGS was founded in 1985 and NGC was founded in 1987. I am wondering if the older slabs for PCGS and NGC are under-graded compared to todays slabs. Would an older slab affect the value. Here is some example's. These are not my example's!
    Thanks Noah
    old------------------------------------New
    upload_2018-11-14_18-16-50.jpeg upload_2018-11-14_18-19-21.jpeg
    old--------------------------------------New
    upload_2018-11-14_18-20-40.jpeg upload_2018-11-14_18-21-18.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Collecting Nut likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pcgs-ogh-question.326783/#post-3231978

I already asked them, and I think we both have the same thoughts. I sold this MS63 1887 Morgan in the original PCGS Generation 1.2 holder that I didn't think anything of.

Capture d’écran 2018-11-14 à 18.35.58.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-14 à 18.35.50.png

But then I bought this coin which is a PCGS MS64 in the newer holder, and the MS63 looks much better than the MS64. Maybe the toning bumped it up for the MS64. I don't know. Maybe some others know more.

Capture d’écran 2018-11-14 à 18.36.57.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-14 à 18.37.08.png

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

[Gather up the popcorn, dudes.]

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There is a school of thought out there that the older holders worth re-grading have already been picked through.........but I don't abide it. :)

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's one of those is the glass half full or half empty?

Noah Finney likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Rattlers and no line fatties have a collectabilty of their own. Cracking coins for the major US TPG hoping for an upgrade right now you verily likely won’t like the results.

Besides an 81-S isn’t worth resubmitting form a 64 to 65. You’re likely better off in the rattler.

Evan8 and Noah Finney like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Folks have been cracking slabs from the start of the grading services. Many of the early slabs did upgrade but not all.

Noah Finney likes this.
  9. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Leave them in there. Period

10. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Or is it twice the size it needs to be?

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I have several rattlers and I think they are correct. Some of the ones I have seen might upgrade, but not worth the cost. I think most have already been cracked and sent it - but there are some still lurking out there.

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It’s quite simple, the 1883-O was overgraded. There’s not enough luster for a 64 and the strike is weak too.

I believe the 1887 was correctly graded, considering all the marks in Liberty’s face and the rim damage. I like this coin a lot, but it has some imperfections.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted