Old Whitman Coin Folder

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wyattreally, Apr 6, 2006.

1. wyattreally

wyattreally New Member

I recently acquired a collection of mercury head dimes at a decent price in an old Whitman folder. Of course I'm carefully removing the coins to grade them and decide which to add to my collection but I've noticed an almost consistant ugly toning on the reverse of the coins - the side pressed to the back of the folder. It's a sort of pukish grey that is streaked and grimy looking. Is this normal with old Whitman folders? :mad:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Yes, it's normal.

4. wyattreally

wyattreally New Member

I don't suppose there is anything to do to improve the appearance of these coins? None of them are particularly valuable.

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Sure, replace them. :D

6. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Dip in concentrated Nitric Acid. If not available, try Hydrochloric Acid. No more marks, no more darkening, no more coin. :whistle:
    Anyway as long as they are not the valuable coins what you can do is to make a slight solution of baking soda and water and put the coins in there for a while. Don't rub, just let soak. If that dosen't work, try Acetone. Let it soak in Acetone for a few days. If all fails, don't worry about it.
    The reason for what you see is that when Whitman or any of these cheap, push into a slot type of album is made, the method of construction is that a sheet of material is completely covered with glue. The slotted page is then just layed on top of this glued sheet. When all dried the back of the slots has a slight amount of this glue still there. This is actually used by some when a coin is to small from wear to stay in the slot and falls out. Then the back of the coin is wetted and put in the slot where it meets the glue and now the coin is basically glue in. The reason there are sort of stripes is the method the glue was put down on the original sheet. With Whitman it was done with a sweeping motion. Others just poured it on. Some sprayed the goue on. Regarless, always instruct young kids not to use those if they value the coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted