Old slabs vs new slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barber dime 94s, May 25, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

Hey everyone
    I have a couple of barber dimes in the small white anacs slabs. One in piticular is graded EF 40 , since the day I purachased this coin I thought it looked AU . So today I got out a few of my other barber dimes , two AU 50s and one AU 53 all newer ngc and pcgs slabs to compair to this old anacs dime. After going over each coin with a loop and comparing them side by side , in my eyes it seems as if the old EF coin has every bit as much detail as both the au50 dimes if not a tad more and I believe it has a better appeal to it. The only thing I see on the 53 dime that I don't on the EF and the two AU50s is it might have just a bit more luster.. So this made me wonder why wasn't it graded higher than EF. So I ask myself could the new AU coins be over graded or the older be under graded?? How could anacs be off by 10 grade points on a coin ? Was there a different standard for a coin to grade AU back when anacs used the small white holders ? Any thoughts on this ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It could very well grade higher now. May be worth sending back for a grade review. Not a well kept secret that the TPG's sometimes get things wrong.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I have an 1888-O Morgan I posted in a GTG. It was slabbed as an MS-63. I think it could easily go MS-64+ or MS-65. Thing is, it's in a first generation ANACS holder back when they were called just ANA. I think the holder could help hold a premium. So instead of cracking it out and sending it in for regrading, I may send it to CAC and try to get a nice "Gold Bean" on it. Just an idea though..

5. coloradobryan

I like that idea, though I'm not sure if CAC will do Anacs holders...

6. coloradobryan

I use Anacs, due to the fact that they slab quite a few variety coins that the other services don't, such as the 1969-d type H quarter (proof reverse). I'd use NGC or PCGS for high dollar coins for the added liquidity though. On all the coins I've had slabbed by Anacs, I believe the grades were right, so it seems that at least at the present time they are doing a pretty good job.

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

gradeflation or market grading is a possibility

8. Barber dime 94s

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    I'm not sure it if would be worth sending back in as it's a common date, EF value 25, AU value 60-65.. I posted a few pics of the coin here yesterday just to see what people thought, 2 thought AU50, 1 EF45 and 1 EF 40. The coin has a really nice tone in my opinion and really catches my eye. If I ever get together a full order to send in and would be able to add it in for just the submission fee I might give it a try just to see what happens . Otherwise I'd probably just leave it as is. I really do believe this coin is au50, here is a photos of it and a pcgs au50 I have for comparison .

9. KoinJester

I would be in the 45 camp.

Would it be worth resubmitting no, the cost of certifying with shipping + what you bought the coin for your underwater and under the boat. Would piggybacking in on a free submission ( which you still have to pay S&H and insurance on it) IMO no, a coin like that is worth the same in a 2X2 , flip or and airtight or a slab

10. jtlee321

I definitely see luster there. As I suggested, sending it to CAC might be the best option as it's only $12.00 or so. If you get the Gold Bean that is essentially confirming an under grade and will command a premium when trying to resell later down the road.

11. Barber dime 94s

I've never seen a CAC on an anacs coin. To be honest I haven't payed that much attention though. It would be neat to have one on a ef40 barber. As it may not be under graded enough to fool with , I more or less just wanted some outside opinions as to me thinking it was under graded ..It does have just as much luster as the pcgs coin in the photos and under a loop I believe the details are sharper on the obverse. I purachased the coin for like 15 bucks ,so even though it may not be worth resubmitting I may do as you said if the CAC is possible if not I might throw it in on my next submission just to see what happens . I've got some cards from anacs and icg that allow a couple free coins with my next submission .

12. jtlee321

That's right, I forgot it was in an ANACS holder. I've been reading around on the net and it does not look like CAC reviews ANACS or ICG, just NGC and PCGS. Which is a real bummer as I have an 1888-O in an original ANA holder that I would like to send to CAC, as I don't want to crack it out of the original holder.

13. KoinJester

Edited as he learned next post

Draft saved Draft deleted